Suspension disconnect, a little surprising | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension disconnect, a little surprising

This is just a jerk of the wheel and straighten in the same lane. Not changing lanes at all. As I said, you may not ever experience this under normal conditions as you'd probably have no need to do this except for maybe having to avoid someone in the other lane you didn't see as you were trying to change to that lane. You start to change lanes, someone comes up fast on your left and you have to jerk the wheel back over to avoid a collision. Even in that scenario, you may not notice this issue.

As for upgrading the sway bars, I believe a stiffer sway bar set up would remedy much of this issue but, I haven't seen any aftermarket parts available for the Ex in this regard and I don't know what the 'sport' option would offer to help. :salute:

so the sport model explorer uses a thicker sway bar front and rear - thus stiffer spring rate if you want to think of it as a torsion spring. which is what it is.

it has shorter springs also that happen to be stiffer - with higher damping coefficient struts and shocks which help with the higher spring rates.

If you put the sway bars on but not the springs and struts you would end up with a less roll in the extremes of cornering, without necessarily increasing the roughness of the ride due to running stronger springs at all 4 corners.

I could see nobody making an aftermarket sway bar kit for the explorer but again with the amount of items made and the desire to tinker, I'm mildly surprised.

OH and the police interceptor model would have yet another stiffer sway bar set - needing different bushings and mounts I would suspect but still relatively easy to install.

I 'thumbed' through those links earlier and found that neither of them had a direct link to sway bars for the Ex. No parameter for the Explorer in either. I suppose calling them would get a different result. However, it did occur to me to go the actual UR site and indeed, they have a sway bar. One may be in my future. :salute:

Back