Suspension disconnect, a little surprising | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension disconnect, a little surprising

MikB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 F150 XLT Sport 4x4
Yesterday, while driving on the freeway to a friends house, I experienced a condition that surprised me a bit. This 'condition' is not something you would come across normally. As I was driving and for whatever reason, I jerked the steering wheel slightly and after a slight delay, I could feel the rear end sway after the front end. Kind of like having low tire pressure in the rear tires but, they are fine. It just felt like the front suspension was disconnected from the rear suspension for a second.

Naturally, moving the steering wheel in this fashion, you immediately feel the front end move over a bit in the direction of the 'turn' but, the thing that surprised me is that after a sight delay, the rear end swayed as if I was pulling a trailer causing this 'disconnected' feeling.

This being the first vehicle I've owned with independent suspension, I wondered if this was a characteristic of this type of suspension. I don't know but, be that as it may, I thought maybe the rear sway bar could be upgraded to eliminate this sway. I'll be looking into this.

Let me also say that this 'condition' was in no way a dangerous one and should not cause concern. I just note it as being a bit odd. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a recall by Ford on rear suspensions. I'd suggest getting your checked ASAP.

There is a recall by Ford on rear suspensions. I'd suggest getting your checked ASAP.

A recall or a TSB? The only recall on the rear suspension that I'm aware of currently is for the tie rods on certains models up to a manufacture date. Mine isn't in that category. If you are aware of the specific recall, can you point me to it? As far as I know, other than the the one I mentioned, there is no recall on my vehicle but, I'll keep a look out for it just the same. :salute:

Yesterday, while driving on the freeway to a friends house, I experienced a condition that surprised me a bit. This 'condition' is not something you would come across normally. As I was driving and for whatever reason, I jerked the steering wheel slightly and after a slight delay, I could feel the rear end sway after the front end. Kind of like having low tire pressure in the rear tires but, they are fine. It just felt like the front suspension was disconnected from the rear suspension for a second.

Naturally, moving the steering wheel in this fashion, you immediately feel the front end move over a bit in the direction of the 'turn' but, the thing that surprised me is that after a sight delay, the rear end swayed as if I was pulling a trailer causing this 'disconnected' feeling.

This being the first vehicle I've owned with independent suspension, I wondered if this was a characteristic of this type of suspension. I don't know but, be that as it may, I thought maybe the rear sway bar could be upgraded to eliminate this sway. I'll be looking into this.

Let me also say that this 'condition' was in no way a dangerous one and should not cause concern. I just note it as being a bit odd. :salute:

This sounds like the Trailer Sway control kicking in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69VLFE-AXJY

This sounds like the Trailer Sway control kicking in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69VLFE-AXJY

You know, as I was having this experience, I thought I'd push on the tow feature and see if it made any difference and it didn't seem to. But, the 'sway' control is always on by default and that may be the deal right their. I've tried to turn that off before just because it didn't seem necessary to have on without towing something but, it just comes back on after a restart. However, you've given me good idea to play with it the next time I'm out on the freeway. Thanks :D :salute:

I think perhaps you should definitely check out this recall thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445832

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'm fully aware of this recall of which the thread you reference is the second time this recall has come up. As I mentioned earlier in this thread subject, my Ex doesn't fall in the date category the recall suggest as mine was built in Dec. of '14.

What I did find investigating further my situation is my tire pressures were not where they should be. All at 28psi. This is not enough to turn on the tire pressure warning light as, in past experience with this, this light doesn't come on until the pressure hit 20-25psi. Far too low in my opinion and rendering it pretty much useless.

I have to say that I am a little surprised to find my tire pressure so low by a full 7psi for each tire. As a person experienced in how long it takes a tire to lose air under normal conditions, I have to say that the tire pressure wasn't checked properly under dealer prep at the time I bought my Ex. As a matter of fact, I checked the pressure in my spare and it was a full 25psi low from the 60psi it's supposed to be.

If tire pressure is the cause of my experience, it will be evident the next time I 'test' this situation again. If by this effort and testing the 'sway' feature do not remedy this situation, I'll be contacting my dealer about this.

In the meantime, I expect to have my gas mileage increase after correcting the tire pressure. :D :salute:

sounds like trailer sway control and I wish there was an easy way to keep that OFF by default.

Seems like something that should enable when a trailer brake kit is connected or the like.

either way

sounds like trailer sway control and I wish there was an easy way to keep that OFF by default.

Seems like something that should enable when a trailer brake kit is connected or the like.

either way
I've never had that feature but I'm thinking (not an easy feat) that I've read that while the Sway control may be ON, it doesn't really activate until it is actually hooked up to a trailer etc. Is that possible?

Peter

I've never had that feature but I'm thinking (not an easy feat) that I've read that while the Sway control may be ON, it doesn't really activate until it is actually hooked up to a trailer etc. Is that possible?

Peter

either way

If the sway control doesn't actually work until a trailer is attached, it would eliminate the need to test that portion against my issue. Even so, it seems odd that you can turn it off. Why would you want to turn it off while towing? Why even have the ability to turn it off or even have that option?

More and more, I'm thinking my low tire pressure situation may be the cause of my issue but, that is yet to be determined. :salute:

Peter

I believe this feature is standard on all models of the explorer. Even if you don't have towing package. My 2011 XLT w/out tow had it if I recall. It is active until you turn it off, it has no way of knowing a trailer is connected, it detects yaw and sway and reacts. The OP said he jerked the wheel, this could have caused the same forces as a trailer swaying on the rear end.

I believe this feature is standard on all models of the explorer. Even if you don't have towing package. My 2011 XLT w/out tow had it if I recall. It is active until you turn it off, it has no way of knowing a trailer is connected, it detects yaw and sway and reacts. The OP said he jerked the wheel, this could have caused the same forces as a trailer swaying on the rear end.
That's possible about the 'Sway Control' feature if it is selectable in the left info screen. Perhaps I got it mixed up with the 'Tow' button. It seems to be coming back to me now that a member many years ago said he noticed a difference with it (Sway) ON and OFF. At that time I recall that I tested it by going into the left screen and turning it OFF and ON to see if it made any difference to the handling of my 2011 Ltd. It didn't. Could the Sway Control not sense/recognize that an extension has been plugged into the electrical extension plug for the trailer?

Peter

That's possible about the 'Sway Control' feature if it is selectable in the left info screen. Perhaps I got it mixed up with the 'Tow' button. It seems to be coming back to me now that a member many years ago said he noticed a difference with it (Sway) ON and OFF. At that time I recall that I tested it by going into the left screen and turning it OFF and ON to see if it made any difference to the handling of my 2011 Ltd. It didn't. Could the Sway Control not sense/recognize that an extension has been plugged into the electrical extension plug for the trailer?

Peter

Sway control works regardless if lighting is connected, also I'm pretty sure the lighting receptacle is a one-way electrical connection.

I've pasted a link to an article on 'Ford sway control' and it explains how it works. However, it does not say whether turning it off or what effect turning it off has on its operation. Another article suggests that since the sway control is integrated with the function of stability control, a light will flash on the dash regardless of whether the sway control is on or off. I didn't notice this. If anything, the article may give a better understanding as to the sway control operation:

http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/technology/what-is-ford-trailer-sway-control-123198/

Sway control works regardless if lighting is connected, also I'm pretty sure the lighting receptacle is a one-way electrical connection.

some are. the 4 wire and the 7 wire are all one way systems.

there are a few multiwire setups that do feedback to a controller setup for electric brake force and wheel speed. but those are more complicated - and for a real tow rig.

Sway control is one of the settings you can de-select in the menu, but it re-activates upon every startup.

as said before it's a function of the stability assistance system - and I don't think the car senses anything - hence it always being active.

I had a little time today to 'play' with the issue at hand. While I corrected the tire pressure, there seemed to be no difference in the effect I was experiencing as it does the same thing. Messing with the sway control resulted in making no difference as well, no lights flashing, etc.

Mind you, this situation is not one most will ever encounter unless it's done inadvertently. Jerking the steering wheel while driving is just something that isn't necessary under normal conditions. It could be a reaction done to avoid an object in the road you come upon or to avoid an accident. With that, I don't think you would feel like you'd lose control as it quickly settles. Under that circumstance, you may not even notice. As I said, it's just an odd occurrence. :salute:

I had a little time today to 'play' with the issue at hand. While I corrected the tire pressure, there seemed to be no difference in the effect I was experiencing as it does the same thing. Messing with the sway control resulted in making no difference as well, no lights flashing, etc.

You say no lights come on, but did you try disabling sway control using the left cluster screen, also try disabling traction control as well? I'm curious if one or both of these is causing the feeling you get

I did disable the sway control as stated, "messing with sway control". I did not try anything with traction control and now that you mention it, that may have been a good test.

so maybe I'm missing what happened.

so speed over 55, crowned highway road, LH side, jerk wheel to right, swap lanes - correct with second jerk - high speed lane change.

foot on or off gas - or brake.

I did quite a bit of that before agreeing to buy a explorer and I did it with every other contender too. Aside from the bimmer I tested (for no good reason) the ford was the most planted of the appliances.

so the sway and "disconnected" feeling - is it on the initial swish - or on the correction to straight in the new lane.

are you on the 18's on the 20's - with OE tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm mostly curious as I test drove the snot out of quite a few appliances including the bimmer x5. which I wasn't serious about I just wanted to try one.

and other than the bimmer - which being RWD has different dynamics all together.

I felt the ford had the better road feel, and holding ability of the other appliances - with a nod to the durango only because it's a tick again bigger but also RWD.

I don't have an AWD version - but I drove 2 of them - didn't really notice much difference other than at the limits - and I think that's where you would be with a steering wheel jerk. At the limit I felt it did sway a touch more, but was just as planted to the road - I chalked it up to the slight amount of torque shifting going on in the back helping to straighten out the car's path.

so yeah color me curious. OH and I've thought about putting sport model sway bars under my XLT also. It should be relatively easy but I don't know I want to

Back