SVT lightning rims on '01 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SVT lightning rims on '01 sport

I'm looking to put '01 Ford Lightning rims on my '01 explorer sport and I was wondering if anyone knew what modifications (wheel spacers, etc..) were required. I think that would look bad ass with 18"s on it cuz it would still look stock, but slick. Also wheres a good place to buy SVT parts @?

I would also like to lower it an inch, does anyone know what the best route to doing that would be, (springs, bushings, etc...) Thanks..
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought about that too at one time, but f150s and explorer/ranger have different bolt patterns.. the rangers /explorers have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern whereas the f150s have a 5 on 5 pattern.

Move to top

TTT

Has anyone ever converted the hubs from explorer/ranger to F150 style? Will it work? I have 2k1 sport with 4wd so it could be tricky. THanks

you should go get a kmc brochure, i promise if you page through that you will forget about wanting the lightning wheels.
i don't mean to offend you, but i don't understand why people who don't have lightnings, or cobras always want to put the rims from those vehicles on their cars. While the people who have them want to upgrade their wheels to something else. i have two friends who drive real svt vehicles and both of them have aftermarket rims. a 00 lightning with 20 inch hellions and a 99 cobra with 18 inch bbs. can you just explain what the appeal of having the same oem rims as so many other vehicles is?

Well basicly I want it to look somewhat stock

Basicly the who reason I want the lightning rims is I think they look real good and they aren't super flashy. I hate cars that are decked out with real super chrome or obvious aftermarket equipment. Plus there are lightning rims available real cheap. I'm gonna pay an arm and a leg for a set of nice new ones from someplace. I can get lightning rims on ebay for like 600 with tires! So thats my reasoning...

Anyone have any ideas for the hubs?

chris

Why convert your hubs ?

If your so set on SVT wheels , why not use wheel adapters . they'll save you a $#!+ load of time and money . If you don't like the look of flashy chrome wheels then why don't you buy some non-chrome after market wheels ??? I'm wheeling to bet the SVT wheels won't be an Ideal fit anyway . To wide and tall , You probably could get away w/ the hieght , but not combined w/ that same width ? I could be wrong . GOODLUCK ...;)

You would have to do a few mods on the truck so they would not rub..........(cutting metal)..........The bolt patterns are a wrong match ranger/Explorers 5-4.5 and 97- current year ford truck 5-135 ....if you can get through that then the studs are a different pitch.....ranger/Explorer 1/2 inch............97-99 ford truck 12x1.75 and 00-01 14x2.00..............

The spacers that you would need you would have to be very specific on how much back spacing you want....which isnt much...........they are custom built adapters and usually run about 300-400 per set...not to mention all the problems you would have to word through........I say you should try and find some look alike wheels and forget about the wheels on ebay.......
IMHO............. I could try and track down some aftermarket 18 inch wheels......:cool:

I'm open to suggestions

If anyone feels like looking around for a set of comparable rims to the lightning rims that would be tight. I'm looking for something with a very stock aluminum finish. The rims have to be wide enough to take up the entire wheel well, and I would preferrably medium profile tires on it so that the overall diameter wouldn't be too far off from stock. I'm sorry I'm being vague I really dont know what I'm looking for in rims. :smoke: Thanks...

CHris

expo5.0....I'll tell you why I wanted to put cobra rims on my X. Plain and simple, they look many times better than a large percentage of other "custom" wheels. I looked through tons of name brand rims and within my price range the cobra R was my favorite. I don't give a $hi* if they come stock on something else...why does that matter? It isn't like 1995 Cobra R's are so common anyway. If an OEM rim is a beautiful as the Cobra R I'll put it on any car. Maybe I could have gone with the imitation cobra's...then they wouldn't be the same oem ones - they'd also look like a$$. What's the point of that? OEM or not, I love the Cobra R's on Cobra R's as well as on my X :D Not to mention the baddest center cap you will ever come across :bounce:

sorry dude, i like the way your truck looks, and your rims are pretty tight. your cobra rims aren't really the ones i was talking about. yours are slightly different (95 cobra r right?) than the ones that it seems like everyone with modified x has. and yes those center caps are pretty damn cool.

these might be too flashy for you, but i don't think they are too bling, bling. and they look really good on the new body style sport. Just check out the one in the january truckin magazine. or on the web at www.truckinweb.com the truck is called black diamond. the rims are 18by8 weld racing vr type 146. hope you like them.

or somewhat similar are the kmc toads. They would look pretty cool too, you can probably get those without chrome and they would look like really bad a$$ oem, in my opinion alot like the lightning rims.

yes, you're right, they are the 95 cobra r's

Back