• Register Today It's free!

Swap from 4wd to 2wd

818prerunners

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have a '92 Ford Explorer 4x4. I want to swap out my 4x4 beams, radius arms and get long travel 2wd beams and radius arms.

Will 2wd beams fit onto my explorer?

If not how hard is it to do that?

Is there very much differance in brackets?

What do I need to modify?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I am assuming that you are doing this to increase gas mileage right? If thats the case, I have heard others talk about just pulling the front halfshafts to eliminate the front end axle drag on mileage.

I'm actually doing the swap because I wanted a 2wd explorer but my uncle bought a new car and gave me this one. I thought it might be nice to have rear low or rear high as i'm in the dunes.

to get to the point my options were slim as to wanting long travel.
1. I could buy the Autofab $3300 4x4 bent beams kit but that is pricey.
2. I could do drop downs but thats ifey on strenght I think.
3. I talked to a guy that has alot of knowledge on modifications and I told him what I wanted and he said "we'll you can always throw a 2wd kit up there; it's close to the 2wd brackets.

I wanted to see if anyone else had real first hand info on this swap or a good suggestion on the situation i'm in.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Just get some cut and turned beams. 350 plus core at camburg. Their rad arms are like 500. All you really need after that are some coils and shocks.
-James

so there really isn't much differance in brackets?

I didn't say that. I'm saying keep your 4x4 by getting cut and turned beams along with camburgs radious arms.
Note I only mentioned camburg becouse it lists their prices on their website but I'm sure just about any fab shop will offer a system for you (mcniel, h&m, newline, giant, etc, etc... just take your pick)
-James

is there a reason that your converting it over to 2wd?

you might have already posted it, but i see your name so i assume that your making a prerunner?

818prerunners said:
I have a '92 Ford Explorer 4x4. I want to swap out my 4x4 beams, radius arms and get long travel 2wd beams and radius arms.

Will 2wd beams fit onto my explorer?

If not how hard is it to do that?

Is there very much differance in brackets?

What do I need to modify?

I live in La Crescenta, pretty close, if you pull this off would you be willing to sell me the extra 4x4 parts for my X so i can have some stuff?

JWF

I have some 4x4 I beams. They are off a 1991 and are 3.5 inchs wider preside. Also have coil buckets. I am building a new 2wd exploder.

Back