• Register Today It's free!

Swap to External EGR?

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I'm going to be replacing the crappy exhaust manifolds on my '97 Mountaineer with some from a '99 Explorer. The '99 manifolds have the provision for external EGR while my '97 uses the internal passage in the intake manifold. Is there an advantage to using the external setup? Would it keep the intake cooler and make more power? Ford must have switched for a reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think keeping the PCM happy would be difficult: The '97 uses a mechanical "feeler" to sense the position of the EGR valve. The '99 uses a pressure differential sensor to check for EGR pressures and I don't think you can fit thr earlier sensor to the later valve.

Did not realize that. Thanks!

You would have to swap the pcm to a late 97 one and rewire the harness slightly. If you wanted to delete it you could pull the upper off and plug the center passage in the lower intake manifold. Then of course you'll get a CEL......

You would have to swap the pcm to a late 97 one and rewire the harness slightly. If you wanted to delete it you could pull the upper off and plug the center passage in the lower intake manifold. Then of course you'll get a CEL......

I've wondered about that -- on the '96/'97 system, the PCM uses the physical position of the EGR valve to check its function and might be dumb enough to to allow blocking off the gas passage and happily sense the EGR valve opening and closing on command while not passing any gasses.

Haven't tried it, just wondered about it.

Back