1998 mountaineer has external egr, correct? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 mountaineer has external egr, correct?

Jeff213

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mounty 5.0 4x4
Callsign
KM6BVN
So, I pulled the upper plenum from another 98 explorer, and I realized when I got back mine has the passage in the block for the internal egr, but has an external egr coming off the torque monster, and the passage going to the internal egr is blocked off in the throttle body. Was this a transitional truck? Will the new intake plenum I got work on my truck?

I went back to pick n pull today and went to pull another off a different 98 and it was the same, no passage in the middle of the plenum.

Since I have the external EGR can I just block the passage going into the engine block (or leave it open???) and swap out my intake plenum?

Old one has a crack at the ear where one bolt goes which was causing a major vacuum leak.

I have a phenolic intake spacer, I think i can drill and tap it and put a pipe plug with some loctite in it to block off the passage if that will work

IMG_20231216_103538774~2.jpg

IMG_20231216_103604151~2.jpg

IMG_20231216_103609810.jpg

Use the pipe plug idea and some thread sealant on there, with the gasket and then spacer it will then be properly blocked off

There are 3 different upper and lower intake combos on the 96-01 5.0 it is silly

All p head engines had the external egr
The early ones (97-98) still had the hole in the lower intake and it was blocked off at intake elbow, and then later finally at the upper plenum

Then somewhere in 98 they stopped adding the hole to the lower to take and the upper plenum changed

The gt40 engines (non p) still had internal egr, 1996 and some 97, the egr gasses passed through the lower and upper intake all the way through the intake elbow to the egr diaphram.

Mountaineers have wild changes that don’t match the 98-01 explorer time line lol
Just like you are, I run into this all the time

Back