• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Bushings / Links

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
When dropping the sway bar to change the bushings and links, can this be done WITHOUT jacking up the truck while it sits on level pavement????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should not be a problem if you can get access to the bolts. Be sure you are on level ground.

Disconnect the end links first then the bar itself.

When you do the sway bar bushings, do them one side first then the other. Don't undo both sides as the sway bar is likely to drop on yer' head and it's a heavy son-of-a-gun. Also, trying to hold it up there if both sides are off is a pain. Are you doing front or rear?

chef, that's what I ended up doing. I decided to jack the front up anyway just to give more room to work. Again, the damn rust and corrosion from the Pa. winters made removing those bushing mount bolts a real SOB!

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Yeah, we are lucky here in N. Tx. as winters are pretty gentle - maybe a few rare flurries here and there and a very rare ice storm but nothing like up East. Summers are brutal, tho. Few years ago we had 70 days over 100 and 40 consecutive days over 100. Got to keep the A/C serviced!!

chef, I hear you! I had a chance to take a position for work either in Laporte or SeaDrift but after visiting in late July when it was 99 degrees out, I changed my mind! :)

Back