Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ok, so I was talking to another forum member last night... and it maybe the case that my 4406 won't work with the explorer GEM like I was planning ( was planning on plugging it in, with the 4x4 gem and having it work)

So, I've taken some more pics of the 4406 in the hope that someone shed some light on the subject.. thanks

41a96982-9406-4e75-82f4-6ece4554c3e3_zps26b3bc74.jpg

CAM00544_zpse63e7867.jpg

CAM00542_zps6a5b38bd.jpg

Si

Well, these showed up today.... OMG.. they're massive...

CAM00550_zpsf10b419a.jpg

CAM00551_zps856ee665.jpg

and a comparison...

CAM00547_zps267015bb.jpg

CAM00548_zps899c28c4.jpg

Si

Well, these showed up today.... OMG.. they're massive...

CAM00550_zpsf10b419a.jpg

CAM00551_zps856ee665.jpg

and a comparison...

CAM00547_zps267015bb.jpg

CAM00548_zps899c28c4.jpg

Si

Good luck mounting those.
They are huge.

si, message ahodges. he put a 4406e in his truck, but his is a 96, so i am not sure how many differences in wiring there might be.

Thanks bud!! I did just that!... I was gonna stick the 4x4 gem in and plug the case in to see if I can hear it shift.. n stuff...

Si

Si, It will work just fine as far as the electronics are concerned. The shift motor is the same on the 4406 as it is on the stock ones on our explorer's. The only difference is that the 4406 has a 4X4 high mechanical lock option that ours didn't have. That is ok though because the explorer GEM will simply use the electromagnet to engage 4WD (it won't be as strong but mine hasn't given me any problems). 4 low works the same on both T-cases..

The only problem I foresee you running into is room between the shift motor and the gas tank. In order for me to comfortably fit mine in my 4 door I had to install a sport gas tank, now I have more than enough room (only area on the whole truck that I can say that!). I know that Tim had to modify his front tank mount just to fit the manual T-case in there, I really don't think you will be able too fit the 4406-e in there..

I plugged it in last night with a 4x4 GEM and I couldn't hear any shifting on the motor... so I'm guessing something doesn't work.

After I do the SOA, I'm going to move the tank backwards to make room, or, change to a rear mount tank and then that should solve the issue..

I turn the knob, it says 4x4 high, but, when in 4x4 low, the light don't light up..

Si

You won't hear anything when in 4X4 auto or high. You should be able to just plug the shift motor into the trucks wiring harness and do the normal procedure for going into 4low. Neutral, foot on the brake, and then turn the knob. If it was working with your stock transfer case and not with this "new" shift motor then I would say the motor is bad.

yeah, I'll have another go some time this week, it was when I was testing it last night that I discovered that some a$$^&*% had siphoned out all the fuel from Pickle...

Si

I seem to remember having few shift motors that I test in the way I described above with the motor just dangling by the wires, not attached to the T-case.. I did that with a couple motors to make sure they all worked.

I think it will fit. When I changed my pump during my swap I played around with the tank and was able to move it back quite a bit. Not sayin you won't have to play with it as far as the fill neck hose or stuff like that but as far as the tank itself I believe if you move the mounts for it back it will work.

The wiring won't be an issue, I've got the 4dr frame wiring in there, so I've got an extra 10" to play with - :D

Si

If nothing else make sure that the shift motor works off of your V6 transfercase, then install that one on your 4406. It could be the junkyard shift motor is bad too.

will do, didn't really get a chance to look at it last night, took the motor off the case, made sure the switch moves from 2h to 4h to 4L and it did..

Will have another look at it this week...

Si

Back