• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Bushings

gearz

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Anyone replace these? My shop says I can't do it myself because the bushings are riveted to the arm. They also charge two hours labor for the job. I've only had the truck for a week and haven't bought a repair manual yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking front or rear? And do you mean the end link bushings or the actual bar bushings?

The front bar bushings are trashed.

gearz said:
The front bar bushings are trashed.

You can replace the actual bar bushings themselves. Sometimes they are a pain to do because of such a tight fit.

I have replaced mine with poly bushings.

Good luck.....

I'm a complete moron, and I replaced all of mine with poly bushings. If I can do it, anyone can.

I just replaced the main frame bushings (x2) and both end links just three days ago.

They are super easy to do. I just jacked each side up and started turning wrenches. There is only one bolt on the bottom of each endlink and two bolts per side of the frame bushings. The frame bushings bolts were pretty tight, but I just used a box end wrench to add some length to the ratched and it came off. A breaker bar would have been easier, but I didn't have one.

gearz said:
My shop says I can't do it myself because the bushings are riveted to the arm.
It's either your shop is just taking you for a ride or you and your mechanic are talking about two different things.

Back