• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar removal.

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
Pro's con's? Did it to my old jeep. felt like I had no control on the highway. did you guys leave yours? leave 1? no sway bars at all? I keep hearing from everyone that I should but after my experience in my old heep I'm not convinced. What's your experience on this subject?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what other mods you have. An older vehicle with worn out rubber radius arm bushings and soft shocks is going to have a lot more flex without the front sway bar, but also way more body roll. A vehicle that has newer polyurethane bushings and top-of-the-line monotube shocks in good shape can still have good flex offroad without the sway bar, and will still have more body roll without the sway bar than with it, but it would be at least somewhat more controllable.

It depends on whether there is a lift kit installed as well, the stock Explorer does get an improvement in flex without the front swaybar, but the limited travel of the stock shocks and the proximity of the bump stops and the engine crossmember mean there really isn't much additional useful travel, and even if there is, it can sometimes cause damage rather than be any sort of benefit. The front sway bar actually seems designed to limit the travel somewhat to prevent damage, and keep the strain off the shocks from becoming the limiting factor. If a lift is installed, the sway bar becomes a very limiting factor to suspension travel and usually had to be modified to work with the lift.

The lack of a front sway bar can also be minimized by running dual or adjustable shocks, although not quite the same mechanical effect, but if you're running a rig with 35" tires, 9" of lift, and tons of off-road mods, a wimpy little sway bar for street use is kind of silly, and it's probably better to just adjust the suspension firmer or softer for what you'll be using it for. You don't even need a multi-thousand-dollar suspension for this, Rancho makes shocks that are externally adjustable, and can be changed from super soft to very firm with the turn of a dial.

Generally the best of both worlds can be had by making sway bar quick disconnects. Pull the pins and tie the sway bar out of the way for offroad use, put it back and reinstall the pins for on-road use.

The rear sway bar on the Explorer was pretty well designed and doesn't limit travel that much. The first gens came with a much thinner rear bar than later gens too, which lets it flex quite a bit more at the limits of rear suspension travel as well. Generally the rear bar can be removed with minimal adverse effect, though of course if the front sway bar is removed, the rear should be as well, to prevent oversteer.

I have both removed, it sucks on the street. Keep the rear and ditch the front if you feel you need more travel than you have now. (I'm a 2nd gen, but have I-beams). That would help the back from rolling. My body roll is horrible.

Looks like I am leaving them in. Thanks for the advise guys

I pulled the rear on my old '91 and never looked back. I had quick disconnects on the front and ran them quite often disconnected. You could tell it wasn't there, but the handeling was completely predictible. The only time you noticed the rear was gone was in high speed cornering. Under the right circumstances you could feel the rear start to lift in a hard corner at speed.

iv been trying to figure out the same iv got a 3rd gen with truxx spacer lift adn 32'' tires rubs some but doing a 1.5 body lift help that out but i know there only so much u ca do with IFS , IRS suspension iv thought about paying it off and doing a soild axle swap front and rear :)

My experience is TTB suspensions are less prone to body roll with the swaybar disconnected than the SLA-IFS or a solid axle suspension (like your old Jeep had).

I would say disconnect one side by removing the link (effectively disabling it) and see what it feels like. If you dont like it, then you can always hook it right back up (or get quick-disconnects for it).

I would say disconnect one side by removing the link (effectively disabling it) and see what it feels like. If you dont like it, then you can always hook it right back up (or get quick-disconnects for it).
I think i will actually try that before I just dismiss it.

I have had a number of vehicles. Jeeps, EB's, BII's, Explorer's, ect......

This really depends on the person. Some folks just drive different and have different skill levels. I am old enough that I learned to drive in vehicles that did not have sway bars. Some folks have driven farm equipment that did not have them either. My sway bars fall off just as soon as I get a truck and a locker. I have no trouble on the highway. But............there is no setting back with one finger on the steering wheel and a slurpie in my other hand. I "drive" my trucks.

So if you are the type of person who drives a truck you might not mind. If you like to set back and relax and multi task.....you might not. My 73 CJ did not come with sway bars. In KS with high winds, 4" lift, 33X9.50 tires, rear locker, and a trip on the elevated road way around my home town was like a class E ride an amusement park. That just plain spooks some folks. Others think nothing of it or enjoy the abillity to drive that way.

I even tried the sway bar disconnects and finally just left um out. Just too much work moving the truck around to get the links to line up and like I said I really don't care if they are in or not on the highway.

Just my flavor of ice cream. Others have there own flavor. If you have tried the sway bars out and don't like it then don't do it. Many folks even argue that you get very little results from removing/unhooking them any way.

It depends on your driving style...
I drive very aggressively (you have to in NJ!). I went as far as to install a 1-3/16th front sway bar off an '89 Ranger STX. I always have it connected on the street and spend the 10 seconds to disconnect it when I go offroad. If I forget to reconnect it, I know by the first turn I make.

My driving style. Well I put in 10 hour days behind the wheel of a 105,000 LBS, 26 wheeled truck every day. In the busy season I help the farm boys by driving the equipment in the field. So skill is no problem. I just had a bad experience in that jeep. But in all fairness it was a POS 88 cherokee

Just disconnect them when on the trail.takes about 10 mins to take four bolts out.I wont drive on the street without them but on the trail...night and day difference! !

Back