• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 flaky

SLE

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. On occasion, maybe once a month, I'll start the car and the sync 3 system is stuck in some mode; its usually the audio display. I can't change the station or select another source, I can't even turn it off. Also, I can't access Navigation. And weird stuff, like the speed limit sign doesn't display. It's a little different each time. I try turning off the car, opening the door and then restarting and it's still messed up, but with slightly different symptoms. If it gets parked for awhile, then all seems right again. I know the dealer will do nothing unless it's the one-in-a-million chance that it acts up for them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to see if there is an update available? Even most 18s have an update available unless it was a recent build.

Have you checked to see if there is an update available? Even most 18s have an update available unless it was a recent build.
As far as I know, I have the latest version, V3.0.

There are multiple revisions of 3.0. Go to the owner site and check for updates.

Its worth checking at least.

There are multiple revisions of 3.0. Go to the owner site and check for updates.

Its worth checking at least.
I checked. Says it's up to date. I guess that would have been too easy, Sigh.

Is your version 3 build 18025?

Raising this thread from the dead. Wife came home this evening complaining about her SYNC3 screen being blank in her 2018 Limited. I connected to our WiFi and found the last update was in July, 2018. We will see if any update prevents the blank screen in the future. Meanwhile, thanks for the info in this thread!

I'm not aware of the "blank screen" being due to a software version. It is usually a sign that the APIM may be going bad. Have you checked your account to see if there are any available updates for you?

Peter

I'm not aware of the "blank screen" being due to a software version. It is usually a sign that the APIM may be going bad. Have you checked your account to see if there are any available updates for you?
Peter
Yes. Updated Sync3 via WiFi on 5/9/21.

Peter
Display problems can be software related and are mentioned in a TSB.

Yes. Updated Sync3 via WiFi on 5/9/21.

Your software from 2018 was old. If your new, up to date software still has display issues, then you likely have a hardware problem

Back