Sync 3 Map Upgrade Issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 Map Upgrade Issue

After being on the phone for 2 hours or so with Ford and not getting anywhere I finally capitulated and ordered the preloaded USB drive. I checked and double checked my VIN and ESN which were correct so I'll see what results I get. Here's the contents of the root of my USB drive. See anything wrong there?

10/18/2019 01:42 PM 0 DONTINDX.MSA
11/18/2019 12:44 PM <DIR> SyncMyRide
12/10/2019 01:03 PM 717 autoinstall.lst
2 File(s) 717 bytes
1 Dir(s) 18,361,188,352 bytes free

Was hoping for a pic but that list looks good. Question...can you play music via USB? What I am getting at is do you know that your USB even works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 19 Explorer that had 1-18 maps. I downloaded the 1-19 updates and copied them to a formatted USB. Tried to install and got the 005 error as the license file missing. Gave up on that setup after a few tries and started all over again on my laptop. Formatted another USB and downloaded the files over again. Did an install and it worked fine. Took just over an hour. I can't for the life of me understand why Ford made it so "hard" to do this update. Here are 2 photos of the files I used to do the update. The lic file has to have "CE", not the 1-18 "CD" version.
Ford Nav

I don't think it was that "hard" to do. It was basically the same as most software updates except for having to copy the license file onto the USB drive. The hardest part for me will be finding a time when I'll be driving for an hour or so in order to load the program into the vehicle. I can't recall the last time I drove for that period of time without having to turn the vehicle off. ;)

Peter

I don't think it was that "hard" to do. It was basically the same as most software updates except for having to copy the license file onto the USB drive. The hardest part for me will be finding a time when I'll be driving for an hour or so in order to load the program into the vehicle. I can't recall the last time I drove for that period of time without having to turn the vehicle off. ;)

Peter
Having not attempted this particular update (but having completed it easily last year) this is what I'm trying to figure out. It is hard to do "intuitively", but easy if you follow the instructions (there were several steps last year about how to format your USB drive and how to store files), or are there problems even if you follow the instructions?

It is basically the same as doing a software upgrade except that in this case you must also copy the license file onto the USB. 12 pages of instructions can also be downloaded but I think you'll find it much the same as doing a Sync upgrade. As mentioned before the only thing holding me back right now is loading it into the vehicle because of the time required.

Peter

Back