Sync 3 screen goes blank | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 screen goes blank

So updating Sync to the latest and also recent updates to iOS hasn't solved the problem. Just yesterday, shortly after connecting my iphone to start Carplay, the entire screen would black out and the music stops. Rebooted Sync3 and did it all over. Same thing happened until the 4th try. I also tried replacing the iphone cable and that didn't seem to help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So updating Sync to the latest and also recent updates to iOS hasn't solved the problem. Just yesterday, shortly after connecting my iphone to start Carplay, the entire screen would black out and the music stops. Rebooted Sync3 and did it all over. Same thing happened until the 4th try. I also tried replacing the iphone cable and that didn't seem to help.

19274 or 20021?

So after a recent issues with carplay connecting and disconnecting, I replaced my fairly new USB lightening connector with a new one...this one with a "compact lightning connector head". Sure enough, I don't seem to have any issues with black screen, disconnections/reconnections. I'm guessing the other connectors I was using were contacting the case on my iphone and causing intermittent connection issues that may not be apparent when charging.

Bottom line: any Sync3 or display issues with Carplay--try a lightning cable with "compact" or "ultra compact" connector head.

My 2020 Explorer st with Premium Tech package Screen goes off and on and flickers when first started when it has been sitting for more than 24 Hours .Fine after about 5 Minutes and on subsequent starts .

Welcome to the Forum Myles. :wave:
Have you had it checked to see any errors codes were stored? I don't know if an issue like that would result in a code or not. Usually in order for the dealer to check this out, they would have to see it for themselves. From what you described, that would mean leaving it there for at least 24 hours.

Peter

On Ford's recommendation, the dealer has ordered and will replace the 'APIM' module in the car. They seem to think this will correct the issue. Will post more at the end of next week after the update is complete.
Any update?

Welcome to the Forum Myles. :wave:
Have you had it checked to see any errors codes were stored? I don't know if an issue like that would result in a code or not. Usually in order for the dealer to check this out, they would have to see it for themselves. From what you described, that would mean leaving it there for at least 24 hours.

Peter
We are still in covid lockdown.I have made Dealer aware of issue and will drop vehicle off soon.

We are still in covid lockdown.I have made Dealer aware of issue and will drop vehicle off soon.
Dealer has change cable going to screen . It has only been a week but it seems to have fixed the problem

Dealer has change cable going to screen . It has only been a week but it seems to have fixed the problem
Screen went out completely after working a few weeks .Seems to be temperature as well as time sitting .I restarted and it worked fine after. Likely won't be until fall when weather is cool enough if temp is part of issue.

Hey Myles. So it actually gets warm up there eh? ;) Neither the temperature nor idle time should affect a screen that works properly. There must be an issue with yours that they haven't been able to find.

Peter

Hey Myles. So it actually gets warm up there eh? ;) Neither the temperature nor idle time should affect a screen that works properly. There must be an issue with yours that they haven't been able to find.

Peter
warm is a relative term .Clearly an issue but
so intermittent they don't have a clue where to look. The screen has never stayed completely out before so problem has changed slightly with new cable.

The screen does not become dark randomly for me. Once every 2 month only when I start the car. I just give that screen a little slap and the screen lights up again.

Back