Sync 3, Sync 4 and 2020 Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3, Sync 4 and 2020 Explorer.

Thanks for the response. I've seen general griping about Sync, but nothing this specific. Sometimes the screen isn't responding to input at all, so a reset isn't possible. I've considered pulling the fuse for a few minutes. Guess I'll keep fiddling with it. I could go to the dealer, but unless it's misbehaving at the moment, they won't be much use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, the latest update just affected Travel Link. I never had an issue with the screen freezing or being unresponsive. That sounds like a different issue.

Peter

As far as I know, the latest update just affected Travel Link. I never had an issue with the screen freezing or being unresponsive. That sounds like a different issue.

Peter
I've never had the screen freeze up either. But I do lose the Sirius audio often. Just so far this morning I lost it 3 times at startup. A soft reset restored it each time so it's an easy fix but it's getting old. Looking forward to the next update.

It is most annoying. Since it's not a good idea to fiddle with it and drive, I have to leave it alone for the moment. Often (but not always), Sync is happy when I start it up the next time. Yesterday while fetching lunch, the screen was responsive, but there was no audio from any source.

I would hope there's an event log stored somewhere.

What's new

Utility a lot of folks use to custom configure their vehicle. Some of the SYNC configurable items are the splash screen, theme (Ford v Lincoln), etc.
I've used ForScan on my Mustang and on the Escape. First thing to get rid of is that damned double-honk from the horn if it's running and you close the door with the key in your pocket. My neighbors will appreciate that, too. I'd also like to enable global open and close as well as increasing the number of flashes on a lane change.

Thanks for the response. I've seen general griping about Sync, but nothing this specific. Sometimes the screen isn't responding to input at all, so a reset isn't possible. I've considered pulling the fuse for a few minutes. Guess I'll keep fiddling with it. I could go to the dealer, but unless it's misbehaving at the moment, they won't be much use.
I tend to disagree with the suggestion the online SYNC3 negativity is mostly hearsay and innuendo, and not specific enough.

Many of us who use other OEM systems have been very clear and specific.

SYNC3 is poorly executed and as it fades into End Of Life it's worse not better than the first gen.

SPECIFICALLY

Speed of any manual manipulation of the screen is clunky, unresponsive and miscalculated. i.e. I want to change SiriusXM channel, I touch another station button, the screen freezes, the audio changes to the new station but for the next 15-30 seconds the screen shows the previous station.

Over The Air updating is a mess, some people have successful downloads, others don't, feedback to the user is poorly communicated. You can start an OTA update and it will randomly stop without telling you, or Battery Saver Protection mode might kick in and shut it down.

The 2020/21 Model Year has a 10" screen but the poorly designed software takes the image from the Rear View Camera and shrinks it into a 1/4 screen image as opposed to entire or half the screen image to assist in viewing.

Updates and owner notification of updates is a cluster, no other OEM has their software released early on a 3rd party website before being released officially to the owners.

Integration with FordPass is the other weak link to SYNC3, poor connectivity poor reliability.

No migration path for owners of a new model Explorer to transition from SYNC3 to SYNC4, yes the owners would need to purchase a new APIM and pay for labour but many would so why not keep your customers happy?

I can go on and on if required.

When you have the opportunity to use GM MyLink and Stellantis/FCA U-Connect you will be so much more critical of SYNC3

Many of us thought after Fords "My Ford Touch" nightmare they would make SYNC3 so good it would be #1 in the market, but they went the other way.

After spending the last week in a 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe I am seriously rethinking my next vehicle purchase.

Hard to disagree with some of the points made although I've not had any issues with a "clunky, unresponsive" screen or changing channels which most often I do with voice commands. As for the Battery Saver Program shutting down an OTA update, I wouldn't think that should happen unless the battery is very weak. With an OTA update, the vehicle is technically OFF with nothing running other than the update.

Peter

Honestly, Sync 3 is what keeps me from buying a current gen Explorer. I've wanted an ST since they came out, but the integration is just rubbish. I had high hopes of Sync 4 finally coming to the 2022 model, but it's obvious Sync 4 will never come to the Explorer. Instead, now I wait for the Android integration, which should be way better than Sync 3. Hoping the 2023 model sees this new infotainment setup.

I've had more issues than I can list. I sued Ford and they paid me $$$. The worst was when I was driving with my family on the interstate late at night and ALL the lights went out. Screens, buttons, headlights, EVERYTHING. I pulled into a rest stop and turned the car off for 10 minutes. When I turned it back on everything was working. About 15 minutes later the same thing happened. It's been in for service more times than I can count until the service manager just shrugged his shoulders and said "we give up". Sad b/c I love the power it has considering I drive 50k miles a year, but all the tech issues are exhausting.

I've had more issues than I can list. I sued Ford and they paid me $$$. The worst was when I was driving with my family on the interstate late at night and ALL the lights went out. Screens, buttons, headlights, EVERYTHING. I pulled into a rest stop and turned the car off for 10 minutes. When I turned it back on everything was working. About 15 minutes later the same thing happened. It's been in for service more times than I can count until the service manager just shrugged his shoulders and said "we give up". Sad b/c I love the power it has considering I drive 50k miles a year, but all the tech issues are exhausting.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Was the problem ever found/repaired?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Was the problem ever found/repaired?

Peter
I haven't had the lights going out issue again, but I still have all sorts of other electronic/computer issues they could never resolve. I've just learned to live with them. Sad that I'm paying $900/month (because I have a 75k mile lease) for a very broken vehicle.

I haven't had the lights going out issue again, but I still have all sorts of other electronic/computer issues they could never resolve. I've just learned to live with them. Sad that I'm paying $900/month (because I have a 75k mile lease) for a very broken vehicle.
At that payment, wouldnt a buy be the better way to go?

At that payment, wouldnt a buy be the better way to go?
I'm paying $835 (CDN) on a 48 month lease. Buying it would have cost an additional $41K (Tax included). I only lease for 48 months but the dealer usually is ready to deal after 36 month because of the extremely low mileage. Have leased my last 8 vehicles and looking at a 9th in a year or so.

Peter

I'm paying $835 (CDN) on a 48 month lease. Buying it would have cost an additional $41K (Tax included). I only lease for 48 months but the dealer usually is ready to deal after 36 month because of the extremely low mileage. Have leased my last 8 vehicles and looking at a 9th in a year or so.

Peter
But thats a totally different vehicle with a higher MSRP.

Platinums and ST's fully loaded are in the $900 range with a buy payment.

Back