SYNC does not pair with cell phone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC does not pair with cell phone

Trader0000

Police Explorer for sale....needs paint
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7L
Got another PIU, 2014 but I am unable to pair with my phone. Radio shows trying to connect but cell phone does not see available Bluetooth.

Phone works fine, deleted all Bluetooth from phone and reset. Phone recognizes other Bluetooth devices nearby.

Truck shows trying to connect. Also tried to do it manually and got pin number but phone does not see it. BTW our radios do not have a master Bluetooth reset like the regular Ford radios.

I am thinking it is an antenna problem in the truck or the antenna is unplugged. Where is the SYNC module or antenna located? Can I swap out the radio with my 2013 PIU to solve the problem? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no separate BT antenna. That is all built into the APIM. Have you made sure your SYNC software is up to date? If not, update it and try again.

I did try the 15 min battery disconnect to reset it and that failed. Can I use forsca n to update? Where is the accessory protocol interface module located?

No, you get the update software from the Ford Owner site. You need to sign up and enter your VIN and check for SYNC software updates. Updates are done via USB.

........... Where is the accessory protocol interface module located?
In the retail model it is behind and attached to the radio.

Peter

APIM.jpg

There is no separate BT antenna. That is all built into the APIM. Have you made sure your SYNC software is up to date? If not, update it and try again.
Is there a way to update SYNC without a dealer? They are asking 250 to update my 2013.

Is there a way to update SYNC without a dealer? They are asking 250 to update my 2013.
Which version of MFT (Sync 2) are you currently on? See this thread; MFT Update V3.10 and in particular posts #24 and #26. NOTE: I don't know if the PIU uses the same MFT software as the retail Explorer.

Peter

Back