Synthetic Lubricants | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic Lubricants

PHOGJR

Reaction score
What brand of synthetic lubricants do you use in your Explorer and how do you feel they hold up? I have Redline products throughout exept for the engine oil. I am using Mobil 1 0w30 engine oil at this time though in the past I have used Redline 5w30 and Royal Purple 5w30. Recently I purchased 5 quarts of Amsoil 0w30 oil but have yet to change out the Mobil 1 0w30!

Thanks

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use AMSOIL in all my vehicles. I use the 0W-30 also. It does a great job. Use the AMSOIL SDF filter to get the most out of the motor oil.

I have seen better fuel mileage, improved seat of the pants performance, smoother idling, better wear protection, lower operating temps.

Can you use synthetics in new motors? My dad just bought my mom a 2000 Jeep grand cherokee limited. It now has 10k on it so i was thinking at the next oil change that i must use synthetic. Is it ok?

You'll be OK with 10k on the Jeep. We usually suggest putting 3000 miles on a new vehicle before switching to AMSOIL. Are you thinking about using AMSOIL?

Nah, I'm sticking with Mobil 1 tri-synthetic. But I will be purchasing some products from the AMSOIL catalog such as power foam and some other things.

Thanks Joe. Let us know if we can help with anything.

When ordering your AMSOIL products, please use customer number 417442 or you can order on line. You can access AMSOIL's on line store through the link in my signature.

Hey AG!!! how much would it cost to replace all the fluids on an AWD with synthetics? As soon as spring rolls around, I am doing major maintanence on my truck to get ready for the show circuit. Since I pull a 7000# horse trailer, I want to make sure I get everything lubed right, except for the tranny which I use a product in it that I have used for 7 years now with fantastic results, and unfortunatly I can no longer get the engine treatment anymore, so now I need to go synthetic. I started my last oil change with using a synthetic blend from Castrol, so my next change can go full synthetic. I am also draining and refilling the trans, transfer case( if you can call it that), front and rear diffs, which I found out this winter are both posi(it was kind of fun actually to be going forward and sideways at the same time with snow flying from all 4 wheels), power steering, and coolant. I did my brake system flush last year, so that is already clean. Luckily I already have aux coolers for all my fluids including oil, so I am all set.

No-not really

Do a search and you'll find that most of the Objective information points towards "Dino oil changed regularly does a great job and cost far less".

Hey guys, I have 155,000 miles on my engine, and was wondering if you guys think it is too late to start putting synthetic motor oil in, or would it just be a waste? I bought some synthetic gear oil so that when I have to change the seal on the rear end I will have that. I also bought some synthetic ATF to put in after we got the clutch done, but we never did drain the fluid, so I might still drain it and put new stuff in just cause I have it, although I have a mnaul tranny, so it won't be that bad. But, I was thinking of using synthetics my next oil change and was wondering if it would just be a waste? Also how long can I go between filter changes when using synthetics? Thanks

kilroy, I sent you an e-mail for your request.

rock883, It's never too late to switch to synthetics. it is not a waste. How long you can go on the engine oil depends on how your vehicle is operating, driving conditions and how you drive.

Performing oil analysis, someone on the board went 15,000 miles with Mobil 1. The oil filter was changed every 5000 miles. I just received a copy of an oil analysis from another vehicle on the board that went 10,000 on synthetic and it was time to change. There is a long thread concerning these "experiments". The major oil companies will tell you to change your oil every 3000 miles regardless of whether you are using a dino oil or synthetic. They just want to sell a lot of oil.

So I could go 10,000 miles, ust changing the filter and adding a quart halfway and still have good oil? Or would I be better off just doing about 8,000 with a filter change and 1 quart addition halfway? I just want to try and get the most out of my engine and everything else. I would like to run synthetics, because of all the good stuff I have heard about them, but I don't want to risk running the oil in there too long and damaging the engine. But, I don't want to run synthetics if I have to change it every 3,000 because synthetic oil is expensive.

I just checked the Amsoil website, and they said this about the service life: "In personal cars and light-duty trucks with non-turbocharged gasoline engines: drain oil at 25,000 miles or one-year intervals, whichever comes first."

So, I guess 10,000 wouldn't be that bad??

[Edited by rock883 on 02-05-2001 at 01:56 PM]

rock883,

If you are planning to use AMSOIL motor oil, you could go the entire 10,000 without changing the filter if you use an AMSOIL SDF filter. You can change the filter at 5000 and top off the crankcase if it makes you feel more comfortable.

If you use any other brand of synthetic, I would recommend doing oil analysis to get some operating data and ensure the oil is doing OK.

Actually I was thinking of buying about 7 quarts of the Amsoil 5W30 synthetic for my next oil change. How much are the filters for my explorer and what is the PN? Thanks

rock883,

The part number for the oil filter is SDF-15. They retail for $10.30.

You can access AMSOIL's on-line store the link in my signature. Call or e-mail if you have any questions.

I've been following all the threads regarding Synthetic ATF with interest. I just visited my local parts store on my lunch break. Mobil 1 has a mercron / dextron compatible full Synthetic ATF that is $4.99 a quart compared to $7.55 list on the Amsol site. I have not seen any discussion of this product. Is this a matter of you get what you pay for or there any other compatibility issues that I should be aware of before making a choice?

One other thing I was planning on changing out my Xfer case ATF at the same time I was doing my tranny. I located the drain plug behind the harmonic balancer. I can't seem to locate the fill plug though. Any hints on this? Also what is the fluid capacity of the xfer case?

Thanks

Bill

Yes, it is a matter of you get what you pay for. There are no compatability issues with AMSOIL for any of the Explorers. It meets the Mercon and Mercon V specs.

You will probably only need a couple of pints for the transfer case.

Bill, e-mail me if you have any further questions. I may be able to help you get the AMSOIL ATF a little cheaper.

Back