• Register Today It's free!

System problem...(capacitor?)

TM21fourT3

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Sport
hopefully someone can help me out with a system problem in my new car...

just got an '94 and put in new 6x8's, 2 subs in the back, 2 kenwood amps, and a capacitor....i had it all hooked up and sounded great. then i went to mount the capacitor and had to re-do the power to it. i re-did it, and nothing worked. i re-did the connections again and now the capacitor just blinks 0.0 and 2 other blue lights blink on it and with each blink it makes a clicking noise, and neither of the 2 amps light up or anything. it was all just working on friday so i dont get it. i would drive it down to a best buy or something but its not registered yet....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A capacitor is not needed...upgrade your big 3/4/5/6 and you will see much better gains.

A cap is a banaid for a bullet wound. It does NOT save your alternator, reduce electrical strain, improve bass, or anything that the manufactures tell you about them...They are a voltage CONDITIONER for voltage spikes and dips much less than 1 volt.

From the description of the problem, you have the Cap wired incorrectly. I agree with aznboi, ditch the cap (it's probably bad, it's acting as if it is shorted)

A capacitor is not needed...upgrade your big 3/4/5/6 and you will see much better gains.

A cap is a banaid for a bullet wound. It does NOT save your alternator, reduce electrical strain, improve bass, or anything that the manufactures tell you about them...They are a voltage CONDITIONER for voltage spikes and dips much less than 1 volt.

Agree. If you have a lagging electrical system, you surely wouldn't add to it something that draws additional current. Have your alternator checked at a reputable auto electric shop (not Autozone) and they can possibly rewind it for decent output.

From the description of the problem, you have the Cap wired incorrectly. I agree with aznboi, ditch the cap (it's probably bad, it's acting as if it is shorted)

Caps in and of themselves are not a good idea. They just aren't effective at what they are marketed to do. Additional batteries and high output alternators are the way to go.

Thanks a lot guys....I appreciate it.

I just assumed the cap is what I needed cause of my 2 1000w amps, guess i was just told the wrong thing...

so if i just forget the cap, would i need any additional power to make it all sound good?

if you bought the cap from a "shop" then yeah they sold it to you to make the sale alot of salesmen sell stuff that arent needed to make the extra sale $ on the sale. i know i was always told to sell anything even if it isnt needed. (i used to work at an audio shop) i never did it though i mean dont get me wrong there was the occasional ASS who walked in thinking he knew all there was about car audio and would add up all the max wattage of all speakers subs and amps and then call his buddy and brag about how many watts he was going to have, all running off of 10 ga pwr wire and a 1 farad cap becaus et adds an extra 1000 watts. wow this got long quick. do that aznboi and infiniti are saying upgrade the big 3 under the hood and get a new/bigger alt and possibly a new batt. i for example have a 280 amp alt and three kinetik batts. an 800 under the hood a pair of 2400's in back. i used to have a big system. but for now youll be fine with the big 3 good luck bro

markup on caps is ridiculous...thats why sales ppl always push them at 1F per "1000 watts". They are a big money maker for shops.

To be honest.....my cap was bought at Wal-Mart :dunno:

It was in the wiring kit for $85.

But I think I'm gonna just bypass the cap and see what happens....but do you guys think thats the best way to make it all work and sound good. I mean from what you guys are telling me, the cap isn't a key piece to the system...I also am far from a cap expert though....

hooking up the cap wrong could be it...having a horrible ground could be it.

how did you ground the amp???

I grounded both the amps and the cap to a bolt under the carpeting the back. Like I said though, everything was working great and sounded amazing....then once I tried to finalize everything and mount the cap I had to undo the power to it (not the ground) and then put the power back on it....upon doing so my problems started.

i had a similar problem before i decided to ditch my cap...what happend on mine was when i was hooking the cap up, my allen wrench slipped out and touched the + & - together, making a loud pop, and a big spark....it ended up blowing the fuse under the hood....

did you sand away all paint on the grounding location???

You shouldn't have any issues with a cap. Did you just hook it right up.. or did you charge it?? All a cap does it oppose a change in voltage.. Double check your connections.. If it's a cheapy could just be a bad cap!

Back