• Register Today It's free!

tach in a ranger w/ 8 plugs

DngrRngr2

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscaloosa Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' Ford Ranger
I need help please i have a 95 ford ranger and i am trying to equip it with a tachometer but it has 8 plug wires instead of four i have heard that you have to dissassemble the tach and do sumthing to it to make it work properally any suggestions to aid me in this task?

Follow the tach manufacturer's instructions to set the tach for 4 cylinders. You don't have to change anything else.

Then locate the factory tach signal wire (tan/yellow) and connect it to the tach per the manufacturer's instructions. The T/Y runs from PCM pin 48, then through the firewall connector and on to an instrument cluster plug.

my buddy whom works at good year mentioned something to me about having to rewire the inside of the tachometer somehow to make it read right i aint exactually sure what he means but he did have a ranger when i met him and he did race it but he doesnt remember what he had to do to tha tach and i dont want to mess it up

If you use the factory tan/yellow tach wire, the PCM will put out the correct pulse frequency for your 4-cylinder, regardless of whether it has 4 or 8 plugs.

Then all you have to do is setup the tach for a 4 cylinder per the tach manufacturer's instructions. The most common aftermarket automotive tachs can be configured for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines.

Back