• Register Today It's free!

tachometer wierdness

dmorris

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
tach reads about 3k whenever engine is running, moves a little with RPM but only a few hundred RPM and always around 3k. When starting the car the needle will swing and do a complete circle somtimes. Acts like it has no damping going on. I tried seaching but did not see this specific problem.

92 XL2 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tach reads about 3k whenever engine is running, moves a little with RPM but only a few hundred RPM and always around 3k. When starting the car the needle will swing and do a complete circle somtimes. Acts like it has no damping going on. I tried seaching but did not see this specific problem.

92 XL2 2wd

had the same problem. removing it and cleaning the contacts solved the problem.

VT, I have not dug into the instrment cluster, was that a difficult task to get at the tach?

VT, I have not dug into the instrment cluster, was that a difficult task to get at the tach?

once you start on it everything is relatively straight forward. hardest part is reaching the speedometer cable, that thing is a *******. i suggest making friends with someone who has small hands/wrists. while you have the cluster out its a good time to change any burnt out light bulbs.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add a bit since my son and I just took his apart. Once you have the outer plastic bezel off (from the far left all the way past the radio, only 2 screws behind the ash tray) you can remove the clear cluster cover and an inner black beauty ring and the tach pulls out from the front. No need to remove the speedo cable or the entire cluster. It's really not hard.

Back