• Register Today It's free!

taking off your moldings

97sllim726

Reaction score
City, State
Troutdale, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
hey i have a question for you guys that have taken off your moldings, and it is, is there any holes or anything after you take them off or is just really sticky tape, and if you have taken them off, how would u suggest doing it, and what would u suggest to clean up all the sticky tape, any feedback would be helpful thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No holes, just rip 'em off!

Ok, just heat up one end of the molding with a heatgun or hairdryer and lift up. Once you get a good grip start pulling the molding off as you heat the underside of it.

There will be some left over tape after it's off, so just heat up the tape and roll/peel off with fingers. Then use an adhesive remover to clean off any excess residue. I used WD40 cause that's all I had and it worked like a charm.:)

I still have mine on. Watch, as soon as I take them off, the next car I park it next to will ding it.

I did mine the same way that TAS98xlt did it. Only difference is that i used an adhesive remover. Oh ya, give it a good wash and wax after you do it. I got a before and after pic of my moulding and pinstripe removal:
Before
16202after.jpg

After
16202trim.jpg

Originally posted by X-factor
I still have mine on. Watch, as soon as I take them off, the next car I park it next to will ding it.

Thats why I haven't touched mine!!

Be careful when you start pulling them off. If you pull too aggressively, the paint will come with the molding. Removing the excess adhesive will take you a while unless you have a 3M eraser wheel.

As stated, once everything is off, clean the area thoroughly and put a coat of wax on it.

Back