Tellico Jan 18th | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tellico Jan 18th

Trail Fix to Melt the Ice

Justin (one of the Jeepers I ran with) pulled his YJ up to the ledge and stayed on the hammer for several minutes using tire friction to melt into the ice. It looked cool because you could see wisps of steam wafting off of the treads. But there was just too much and he couldn't get his big swampers to even try to climb that wall.

Then he came up with the perfect solution to melt the ice. It worked! After this little trail fix to melt the ice, his right front tire climbed the ledge. After another 10 or 15 minutes of smokin' tires, he finally got up it. For those of you who are interested, here's the solution, LOL

Attachments

• meltingicetrailfix.jpg
    meltingicetrailfix.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 145

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gerald,
That first pic was awesome, that snow always make it look so peaceful, I will see you guys in spring, decided to go higher to run 35's.
David

Gerald, do you have any more pics???

How much rubbing did you have with the new tires?

Man, it looks like they got a lot of snow up there. How deep was it up there?

Lotsa rubbing, but I believe no sheetmetal (just plastic fenderwell stuff) , so I guess I trimmed enough sheetmetal. The snow wasn't that deep but it was very pretty.

Originally posted by Positive Vibes
Gerald, do you have any more pics???

Here's a few more. I don't have access to link my personal computer so I'll attach some directly.

Here's Justin (j**pguru7) smokin' his back tires up Fain's Ford after melting the ice :smoke:

:D Warning! J**p Photos to Follow! Don't Look Further If You Can't Take It! :D

Attachments

• smokin\'fainsford.jpg
    smokin\'fainsford.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 131

J**ps on Trail 4.

Attachments

• jeepsontrail4.jpg
    jeepsontrail4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 150

Pucker Moment

I came as close as you possibly can to laying it over again on my right side (without actually getting damage). One of the Jeeps was stuck, the other was trying to pull it up, and I needed to back down the trail to strap to the Jeep strapping the Jeep. Like I said, it was slick out there. Anyway, while backing, I didn't stay on the center of the trail and I felt my right front starting sliding sideways down to the right. I hit the brakes but there was nothing to do but ride the ice. I slid sideways off of this ledge and ended up with my two left tires in the air. I very gingerly eased back until the left tires found terra firma again. I had the only camera so there is no pic of me laying over on my side there. I wish I had one.

Here's the ledge I slid sideways over and down. For perspective, it's maybe four feet to four and a half feet high. The mark over on the side where the snow is scrapped clean off is where my right front tire slid down it.

Attachments

• islidsidewaysoffthat.jpg
    islidsidewaysoffthat.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 151

How to get stuck: try the rockgarden below Peckerwood Ledge when there's a half foot of snow and ice on the ground.

Attachments

• peckerwood1.jpg
    peckerwood1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 123

A great finish to a great Saturday in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.

Attachments

• endofrunsunset.jpg
    endofrunsunset.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 126

Awesome pics Gerald. Looks like a very interesting trip.

attachment.php

HEHEHE

That is where I put my truck on its side.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by GJarrett
:D Warning! J**p Photos to Follow! Don't Look Further If You Can't Take It! :D
**Cough, cough ...** Well, you are anyhow a nice guy, Gerald :D

Great pics of them Jeeps :cool:

3 degrees... That must be a misprint... What's 3 degrees????

Originally posted by Rick

PHD
MS
BA

There, 3 degrees.

:D

Originally posted by Rick
:rolleyes: How to explain an Arizonian 3 degrees :p
:D Just invert what you feel at 110 degrees :D

Back