Temp Dial Causing Sound Under Dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temp Dial Causing Sound Under Dash

lymer

Reaction score
City, State
Ajax
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello All
New to Posting but have read many a good topic on this forum which is why I keep the link in favourites for when I need some ideas:

Ok, I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 6 Cylinder Automatic Trans. and about 225K

As winter comes to a close I started to move my Temp Dial to my left and the cooler settings (Blue) on manual type dial knob. As I get to the 1 o'clock position or as I transition from my right and Hot (Red) to my left and Cold (Blue) a noise starts to be produced from under the Fwd. Center Console area. It does not speed up when the fan speed is turned up. So I do not believe the fan itself is an issue. It just seems perhaps to get louder as fan speed increases. If I had to describe the sound it would be a sort of "Flapping" ", Thudding" sound as if some divisional piece is trying to allow more fresh outside air in while diverting away from the hot engine heat and is stuck in a loop of back and forth motion.
With all the other Climate controls in the same postion, I can pinpoint it as happening and stopping while I go back (hot) and forth (Cold) across the 1 O'Clock position of the temp dial only. So to be clear at the 2 O'Clock position and into the heat (red) side of the dial, the noise stops. I move the dial to my left into the cooler section (blue) and at the 1'OClock position the noise begins and will continue throughout the full range in the blue section. If I turn the dial back to my right and warmer (red) area then again at that sweet spot of
1 O'Clock it stops and remains off throughout the hot (red) range. Again the sound is coming from under my center console below the radio, below the vents and just fwd of where the Gear shift is mounted in the center console.

Have not done a search on this forum for a thread because I would not know what search criteria to call this problem.

Thanks in Advance

Back