• Register Today It's free!

temporary CEL- Running Rich....?

Cougarmanjr

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I have an '02 Explorer 4.6l with ~ 91k miles. Right after starting the engine this morning the exhaust seemed a little "thick-white" and smelled bad, almost very rich. I also noticed that the "thick" exhaust was not constant - almost sputtering. I Did not want to think much of the "thick" exhaust as it is about 7 degrees out and I had to get the kids to the bus stop. While driving shortly later (within 2 miles), the CEL started to flash. When I stopped at the kids bus stop (about 10 minute drive @ ~ 40 mph), it looked as if I was fogging the neighborhood and it smelled very rich. I shut the car off so I did not stink up any kids. Upon restart the CEL was off and the exhaust seemed to be normal.

Any ideas? I don't want to just run to a shop to get it checked out without at least having some thoughts on what it could be.

Thanks!!

Steve O.
BC Michigan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though the CEL wen toff there still should be codes stored. Most likely it was a misfire code. It could be caused for many different reasons, from a bad iginiton coil/boot, bad spark plug, leaking intake manifold gasket.

Sounds like the engine was over compensating for something especially since it was cold. Best bet would be to let your car warm up a bit more in the mornings before taking off. I think because it was so cold the car was trying to warm itself up to the point it was dumping too much gas and killing the catalytic converter. Flash CEL only happens when something is at the point of damaging it. If it happens again I would take it down to the shop but, if you start warming up your truck in the morning I think you should be all set

Thanks for the tips.....will see if I can scan for a stored code. Also will start to let it warm up more. It started right at startup so I will see if that will correct. Also wondering if it may have something to do with the open vs. closed loop for the O2 sensors and this was reset when I shut it off and restarted. We have had our Explorer since new and I inherited from my wife since '06. It has been parked outside in Michigan winters since then and I have not changed my driving habits but this was 1st time this ever happened. Feels like a sign of something else starting to pop up.

Thanks again.

No issues this morning, but it was about 25 degrees out. Did not get the thick exhaust on start-up like yesterday. Will keep an eye on this and re-post if anything changes.

Thanks.
Steve O.
BC Michigan

Back