• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
So my 2012 explorer just lit up. Terrain management stopped working, traction control stopped and service advancetrac kept popping up on dash.
No codes and my battery and alternator are fine.
Now it's gone and everything is fine after I let it sit for a few minutes.
Should I be worried?
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's "search' feature. There are a few more threads on similar issues.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JDSMaine

Reaction score
City, State
THOMASTON Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
My 2012 Has been getting the Terrain Management System fault quite a bit latley- was there ever a recall or anything done about this? Seems as those this is a pretty common issue, Cycling the key works at times, others the vehicle must sit for a bit. HELP PLEASE!!!!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that the fault is an indication that something is failing. There is no Recall since they are only issued for safety-related items. I don't believe anything else was issued either unless it is mentioned in this thread.

Peter

JDSMaine

Reaction score
City, State
THOMASTON Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that the fault is an indication that something is failing. There is no Recall since they are only issued for safety-related items. I don't believe anything else was issued either unless it is mentioned in this thread.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome!
This is most assuredly a saftey item. When the fault comes on the vehicle loses power.
Thanks for the reply

Janob09

Reaction score
City, State
Earlysville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Hey all,
I've searched the threads and didn't find anything specifically about replacing an abs wheel speed sensor so here we are. I recently had my abs, Trac, tms, and downhill assist lights illuminate in my 14 Sport and Forscan confirmed that my LR wheel speed sensor was the culprit. I swapped it out for a new one *not OEM* cleared DTCs and reset modules in Forscan but the lights keep coming back. Should I suspect the sensor is the issue since it's not from Ford or am I missing something? Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance.

BrianTheLion

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hey all,
I've searched the threads and didn't find anything specifically about replacing an abs wheel speed sensor so here we are. I recently had my abs, Trac, tms, and downhill assist lights illuminate in my 14 Sport and Forscan confirmed that my LR wheel speed sensor was the culprit. I swapped it out for a new one *not OEM* cleared DTCs and reset modules in Forscan but the lights keep coming back. Should I suspect the sensor is the issue since it's not from Ford or am I missing something? Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Janob09

Front wheel speed sensor is mentioned - go back one page to Brokanic's post.

I have a 14 Explorer sport and my Left Front Wheel speed sensor popped out causing the same issues and I just put it back in and bolted it. Reset the codes and the problem was solved. If that was your only fault and it's still persistent then it might be the OEM sensor. Have you had a look at the OEM sensor compared to your old one to see if it's a good match for fit/finish?

Janob09

Reaction score
City, State
Earlysville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Hi Brian,
The replacement sensor looks nearly identical to the OEM unit so I'm leaning away from a compatibility issue. Everything was very secure when I removed the OEM sensor and everything was intact so my next move will be to check the hole the sensor goes into for debris and next up I'll return the new sensor and get one from Ford...