Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

I’ve had the same error message after extended use, I just shut the car off let it cool and restart it and solved the issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just the 2 faults? If there is ABS/Hillstart assist/Hill descent/etc then it is an ABS sensor. Just went through this recently on my 17 received last August and local shop scanned codes and came up with the rear abs sensor. So he took a look at all 4. 2 rear ones were the same bad and worn out. There is a small magentic strip with the abs sensor that goes bad. The other side was similar and he figured only had a couple weeks left til it goes too. So he recommended to purchased dealer that both rears be replaced. Fronts were good yet as the rears see most of dust/dirt/snow when driving. Mind you all our roads are gravel roads so that didn't help longevity, but Ford shouldn't have only assumed these vehicles will only drive on pavement as dirt roads are all over the continent.

My problem also started on a heavy snow day and blowing snow situations and guess they got iced up and faulted the already worn sensors.

Have you had it scanned for codes? If so, what were they?

Yesterday we had 12 inches of snow, I had to run to the store, on the way there my 2015 Explorer worked great, when I left the store, which is 1.2 miles away, I had the All Terrain system fault on, and a Trac, alarm. And of course no 4x4. I had this same thing happen 6 months ago and they replace a module, it seems like the exact same issue. I have tried turning it off and back on to no avail. Lights still appear and the 4x4 knob does not light up anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? and of course my warranty expired in October.
Regards, Juli

Yesterday we had 12 inches of snow, I had to run to the store, on the way there my 2015 Explorer worked great, when I left the store, which is 1.2 miles away, I had the All Terrain system fault on, and a Trac, alarm. And of course no 4x4. I had this same thing happen 6 months ago and they replace a module, it seems like the exact same issue. I have tried turning it off and back on to no avail. Lights still appear and the 4x4 knob does not light up anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? and of course my warranty expired in October.
Regards, Juli
Welcome to the Forum Juli.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. Seems this has happened a few times now to members when driving in snow as some of the more recent posts indicated. Could be the ABS sensors as mentioned.

Peter

Regards, Juli

This happened to us once under warranty - turns out the connector to the dial came unplugged and that caused the warning. Your Explorer then defaults to regular AWD mode.

I heavily washed the car especially the brake disk and tires then went out in snow few hours later.

The first intersection, all the signal disappeared and went back to normal. The problems never came back despite heavy snow in my area

remove the negative from the battery and wait for 5 mins before putting it back. the error should go away. i had the same problem except mine was worse... the terrain fault showed up with engine struggling to move and soon gave me an engine check light and this was just going on a straight road.
still trying to guess why it happened...

FYI, had this happen to me yesterday in a parking lot with heavy snow. I had it in snow mode already and drove through some very slippy spots. Terrain management error came up. Hit ok, no change. Shift to park. Wait 30s, restart, back to normal.
It's annoying because it obviously isn't a "fault" given that a restart resets it but, while it's active you have no traction control so in the snow it's just wheel spin.

I heavily washed the car especially the brake disk and tires then went out in snow few hours later.

The first intersection, all the signal disappeared and went back to normal. The problems never came back despite heavy snow in my area
There were posts in another thread that pointed the issue at the wheel sensors. Several members had the same issue after driving in heavy/deep snow conditions.

Peter

I got this "Terrain management error" last week after a snowfall had left 4-5 inches on the ground. The fault was still there after restarting the car, but it went away by itself after a few kilometers. Called the dealer right away and was told: "Yes it happens sometimes when there is too much snow !"...o_O

It's horrible to see that problem has been so prevalent for so long. But unfortunately now I'm part of the crowd as well. Bought a brand new 2017 Explorer Sport and since the day I picked it up it's been having terrain management system faults. It happens when the vehicle is warm and the air temp under the hood is high as well (parked in the sun after a long drive). Had it to the dealer 4 times already with stays of well over a week at time. No error codes even when it's happening at the dealer. I've seen a few isolated resolutions (wiring harness, bad steering angle sensor, etc) but has anybody found a common cause? I'm looking for something I can tell the dealer to do. They've tossed in the towel and basically said "live with it". About ready to reach out to Ford directly and talk to somebody. Has anybody tried that? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It isn't something that you have to live with as the dealer said. It is an issue that should be corrected. Have you tried going to another dealership?

Peter

2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Was parked at side of road on snow/ ice. Before pulling onto road I tried to set the TMS to 'Snow'. All lights on TMS went out, plus error messages on screen showed "Terrain Management System Fault", "Service Advance Trac", and " Collision Warning Malfunction". Was able to drive home with no apparent problems. Problem NOT corrected on restarting several times. Have searched this site and noticed many other people have had similar problem, but no clear cut solution apparent. Will be taking vehicle into dealer.
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Do you have an OBD scanner to be able to read any codes that were generated?

Good luck either way, and please keep us updated on how it goes and what they say!

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. Unfortunately, it is all too common for a member to post about a problem and not follow up on it. Thus we are left wondering what if anything was done to correct the issue. It seems that 'snow' seems to be a common factor that brings about the problem. I'm not sure if it is caused by wheel sensors or not.

Peter

The message disappeared by itself after heavy washing of the car and driving it for 2 minutes

Got a persistent TMS fault the other day.

Prior to this I would get an intermittent TMS error when it rained and/or the road was wet.. It didn't bother me enough to go hunting for the problem because it usually went away after a few minutes; so I just infrequently did spot checks for codes and visual checks for lose wire connections after the faults occured.

Issue found: Apparently the front left ABS wire has been rubbing on something causing it to wear through. Never caught the wear before because the damage was on the backside of the wire.

I have yet to test the wire yet so I can't tell if the sensor shorted or if the wire split internally from the rubbing/pulling or both.

My local dealership doesn't have the part in stock ($60 ) so I ordered one off Tasca ($30 ). I'll swap and test the old wire once I get the new one in.

*EDIT* Just wanted to give an update. Finally managed to find the time to replace the wire. Problem solved. The fix involved me pulling down the front half of the driver side wheel well. The wire terminates near the top of the wheel well next to the vehicle horn. Hope this helps someone.

IMG_20190927_181200.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my 2012 explorer just lit up. Terrain management stopped working, traction control stopped and service advancetrac kept popping up on dash.
No codes and my battery and alternator are fine.
Now it's gone and everything is fine after I let it sit for a few minutes.
Should I be worried?

Back