Terrain Management System Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management System Issue

Geniusrehan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer XLT 2015
From few days i noticed that whenever i move the dial to change the mode of my truck, its not giving any indication in left side LCD that SNOW MODE IS ACTIVATE, MUD MODE IS ACTIVATED etc... before i use to get this notification in left side LCD, but the red light is lighting up on the dial and I can feel from the usage that the mode is activated. However, when I am pressing HILL DESCENT mode, its giving me notification on the left side LCD that HILL DESCENT mode is activated. Anyone else experiencing the same situation? How to get this notification back on left side LCD panel? My truck is still under warranty and I can give it to dealer but i am looking for some solution via forscan or something easier if possible, otherwise I will go to dealer anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fact that the TMS mode is not showing in the left Information Display may not mean it is not working. Do you have the ability to pull up the Intelligent 4WD diagram in the left Information Display? If so, do that and see if power is in fact being distributed. IF the TMS is not working, it should provide a warning to that effect.

Peter

The fact that the TMS mode is not showing in the left Information Display may not mean it is not working. Do you have the ability to pull up the Intelligent 4WD diagram in the left Information Display? If so, do that and see if power is in fact being distributed. IF the TMS is not working, it should provide a warning to that effect.

Peter
Yea INTELLIGENT 4WD is coming up and i can see its moving forward when i am pushing the race .... i guess my ford servuce center did something with the settings in recent service. As i recently did 96,000kms service from the them. But why the display is not showing up now, i can feel urs working but its annoying that i dont know which mode i am driving my car

Yea bro.. but its hard to remember symbol of all of them specially when you have 2 kids :D :D
Just show them once what the symbols mean and I'm sure they will be able to help.:D

Hey guys, new to the Explorer realm. I recently got a 2013 Limited 4x4, and after a few days I saw a video review and noticed the terrain selector light on my Explorer doesn't light up. I tried switching between modes and no light in any other modes, and no change in the dash display. No fault codes are present.
Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. It seems to me to possibly be an issue with the selector knob itself, seeing as how there's no fault and the display shows it to be in normal mode.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Carey.:wave:
Your thread was combined with this one on a similar issue. See post #2 and report back please.

Peter

Hey guys, just bought a 2016 sport, the dial isn't lighting up or switching modes. When I look at the intelligent 4wd system it seems to be working fine, transferring power. No engine light or any other lights. Thinking maybe the issue is with the dial ? Anyone seen this ?

Welcome to the Forum Shaun.:wave:
There is a similar post #7 above but unfortunately there is no followup. That dial/feature is called the Terrain Management System (TMS). I don't think that the Intelligent 4WD display is an accurate indication in this case as power can always transfer from rear to front depending upon the amount of acceleration. Did you get any kind of warranty when you bought the vehicle? I'm guessing that you are beyond the factory warranty.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Shaun.:wave:
There is a similar post #7 above but unfortunately there is no followup. That dial/feature is called the Terrain Management System (TMS). I don't think that the Intelligent 4WD display is an accurate indication in this case as power can always transfer from rear to front depending upon the amount of acceleration. Did you get any kind of warranty when you bought the vehicle? I'm guessing that you are beyond the factory warranty.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I did get a warranty but I'm hoping it's just a simple issue with the dial. I'll post back once I get somewhere with it.

Took the center console apart. Dial was unplugged. Fixed.

Thanks for reporting back Shaun.

Peter

Hey guys, new to the Explorer realm. I recently got a 2013 Limited 4x4, and after a few days I saw a video review and noticed the terrain selector light on my Explorer doesn't light up. I tried switching between modes and no light in any other modes, and no change in the dash display. No fault codes are present.
Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. It seems to me to possibly be an issue with the selector knob itself, seeing as how there's no fault and the display shows it to be in normal mode.

Thanks!
I am having the same issue... do you have any information for me?
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited.
The TMS dial is not lit.
There are no faults.
Are there fuses or relays?
Can this be reset?
How do I know the 4x4 is working?
kmbn@yahoo.com

I am having the same issue... do you have any information for me?
kmbn@yahoo.com
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since September 1, 2018, so I doubt you will get an answer.
If you bring up the 'Intelligent 4WD Display', it should provide some indication as to whether or not the actual TMS is working.
Fuses are all listed in the Owner's Manual. Fuse #35 in the cabin fuse panel shows it is for the Terrain Management System along with a few other features. So if it was blown, the other features wouldn't be working either. Page 330 of the 4rh print manual.

Peter

Back