Test drive: ABS light came on, flashing 4x4 high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test drive: ABS light came on, flashing 4x4 high

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
On a brief test drive of an explorer I'm considering the ABS light came on and stayed on awhile... went off. .. came back. Should this be a show - stopper for this one and keep searching -- or a simple (cheap) known issue?

I was able to set the cruise control so it doesn't seem like a serious problem with the brake system. The truck is otherwise awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the ABS light pop on in mine not too long ago. It was the tone ring for the ABS in the front wheel bearing. The shop had to replace the wheel bearing to the tune of about $250.

But that was just my case. Your's could be slightly different since the 4x4 HIGH is involved as well...

How were you able to determine which of the 4 sensors was bad--esp. if it was an intermittent problem? I seem to have very bad luck with dealers and shops being able to locate these kinds of problems without resorting to "throwing parts at it".

For your ABS light, most OBD II code readers can read ABS codes. If you go on another test drive run it over to your local auto parts store and have them pull the code for you.

If you are buying it from a dealer I would suggest having them fix it before you buy it. That way everything is covered under the warranty and lemon law.

If you are comfortable swapping a hub (relatively easy job) then this is a good negotiating point to make as well if you're just looking to get a good deal. BUT that would void part of your warranty.

How long did the 4x4 light flash for? That could be indication of something more serious...

How were you able to determine which of the 4 sensors was bad--esp. if it was an intermittent problem? I seem to have very bad luck with dealers and shops being able to locate these kinds of problems without resorting to "throwing parts at it".

I didn't. I let a trusted shop handle it.

Find a shop that you can count on and let them handle it. Any halfway decent shop nowadays has the proper tools to diagnose these sort of things. If they don't, they shouldn't be in business.

My ABS light was caused by a rear speed sensor. $25 and about 30 minutes to swap out. YMMV.

For your ABS light, most OBD II code readers can read ABS codes. If you go on another test drive run it over to your local auto parts store and have them pull the code for you...

I have an OBD II bluetooth adapter and Torque on my phone but I don't think I've found any ABS codes in the past.

Torque did show me a few stored codes but didn't have any built -in definitions so I cleared them and went for a drive. The ABS light came back on so this time there was only one stored code and I looKed it up. Cool-- the code is specifically for a left front abs failure.
:thumbsup:

Back