Test Drove 2020 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test Drove 2020 Explorer Limited

cbFL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I test-drove a 2020 Explorer Limited (2.3L Turbo I4) today. The tech was very cool, and except as noted below, a very quiet and comfortable ride, and good handling (all this is obviously non-scientific personal opinion). And they look very sharp in-person, inside and out. Sales guy admitted he wasn't completely up-to-speed on the 2020s yet (my closest dealer just got their first two in yesterday), which is fine, much better than when they make stuff up they clearly don't know.

I was unfortunately a little disappointed with it in some respects. It just didn't feel as responsive as I expected based on the numbers. The engine and/or transmission also felt jerky at times (even after turning off auto start / stop), in both Normal and Sport modes. And the engine was quite noisy IMHO, and not in a good way, under load. Although I have to admit the speedometer did read higher than I thought I was going at times, so maybe there's some good news in road & wind noise being low, at least compared to my 7 year old Odyssey.

But, I do have some questions. This vehicle had all of five miles on it.... is it possible things smooth out as it's worn in a little, or any "learning" in the engine or transmission programming? What about gasoline grade; does Ford ship it with 87; maybe that's part of the issue (it had probably 2 gallons in there, so doubtful dealer added that)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I test-drove a 2020 Explorer Limited (2.3L Turbo I4) today. The tech was very cool, and except as noted below, a very quiet and comfortable ride, and good handling (all this is obviously non-scientific personal opinion). And they look very sharp in-person, inside and out. Sales guy admitted he wasn't completely up-to-speed on the 2020s yet (my closest dealer just got their first two in yesterday), which is fine, much better than when they make stuff up they clearly don't know.

I was unfortunately a little disappointed with it in some respects. It just didn't feel as responsive as I expected based on the numbers. The engine and/or transmission also felt jerky at times (even after turning off auto start / stop), in both Normal and Sport modes. And the engine was quite noisy IMHO, and not in a good way, under load. Although I have to admit the speedometer did read higher than I thought I was going at times, so maybe there's some good news in road & wind noise being low, at least compared to my 7 year old Odyssey.

But, I do have some questions. This vehicle had all of five miles on it.... is it possible things smooth out as it's worn in a little, or any "learning" in the engine or transmission programming? What about gasoline grade; does Ford ship it with 87; maybe that's part of the issue (it had probably 2 gallons in there, so doubtful dealer added that)?
Yes. Their is a learning in Transmission and a break in period on engine and gas wise the Explorer are calibrated for 87 octane except if towing that is when higher octane should be used and maybe if you want to have more fun on the Explorer Sport.

Yes. Their is a learning in Transmission and a break in period on engine and gas wise the Explorer are calibrated for 87 octane except if towing that is when higher octane should be used and maybe if you want to have more fun on the Explorer Sport.

The ST will be a monster. I have not driven it but 400 hp and 415 of Torque is even faster then Range Rover Sport. It's going to me a smooth ride, we won't even have to press on gas pedal that hard :). I wish i saw more live outdoors driving videos.

............................But, I do have some questions. This vehicle had all of five miles on it.... is it possible things smooth out as it's worn in a little, or any "learning" in the engine or transmission programming? ......................
From the Owner's Manual;
"If you disconnect or replace the battery and your vehicle has an automatic transmission, it must relearn its adaptive strategy. Because of this, the transmission may shift firmly when first driven. This is normal operation while the transmission fully updates its operation to optimum shift feel."

Peter

it will be interesting to see them arrive on the lots and to eventually drive one and maybe buy one next year.

No way I will buy an SUV the size and weight of the Explorer with an I4. The turbo just further stresses the engine. Damn, I wish they still had V8s available.

Think I may buy a KIA Telluride in the next year. They are a little less expensive, have a naturally aspirated V6, gets much better gas mileage and has a 10 year PT warranty. And, they have a real speedometer and tach! Not sure about the 2020s but the 2018 explorers with the Turbo I4 or the V6 both regular and turbo whined liked sewing machines on initial acceleration. I would guess the 2019s were the same. May keep mu 2007 V8 Mountaineer a little while longer

No way I would ever buy a KIA. First the Telluride front end is hideous with their headlight design. I was actually at a Kia dealership this past Sunday looking for a simple vehicle for my mother in law and was looking at 2017 SUVs.. The plastic trim below the bumpers, wheel wells and below the doors was sooo faded, it wasn't even black any more.. it was grey. I pointed it out to the salesman and their answer was silence. Funny thing is it only had 22,000 miles on it (lease turn in).

Started paying attention on the road since then and can confirm MANY of them looked the same way. Ya, Korean's can keep their Korean junk.

I know many don't like Consumer Reports but in mid sized SUVs, it was rated 2nd, the Highlander was 3rd. Subaru Accent was 1st.
Checking various rating sites, it received between 4 - 5 stars out of 5. Even J.D. Power had good things to say about it.

Peter

No way I would ever buy a KIA. First the Telluride front end is hideous with their headlight design. I was actually at a Kia dealership this past Sunday looking for a simple vehicle for my mother in law and was looking at 2017 SUVs.. The plastic trim below the bumpers, wheel wells and below the doors was sooo faded, it wasn't even black any more.. it was grey. I pointed it out to the salesman and their answer was silence. Funny thing is it only had 22,000 miles on it (lease turn in).

Started paying attention on the road since then and can confirm MANY of them looked the same way. Ya, Korean's can keep their Korean junk.
You will not buy a Kia but will let your mother-in-law buy one? I guess we know how that relationship is. LOL

You will not buy a Kia but will let your mother-in-law buy one? I guess we know how that relationship is. LOL

Lmfao.. no, I told her from the beginning to stay away but she is the type of person (very sheltered) that only listens to her friends.. oh I know 1 person who has one and likes it.. so there you have it, off to the KIA lot.

Reality was, she didnt like the floating tablet radio display that just about everything is going to.

Drove the Reserve MKC, loved it, decided to do it.. called insurance, drove down, paperwork ready, car detailed, inspection stick and temp plate on.. she panicked and backed out.. my wife hasn't spoken to her since. We were mortified they did all that work... and they were by far the best experience I have ever had at a dealership (small family owned and run).

Lmfao.. no, I told her from the beginning to stay away but she is the type of person (very sheltered) that only listens to her friends.. oh I know 1 person who has one and likes it.. so there you have it, off to the KIA lot.

Reality was, she didnt like the floating tablet radio display that just about everything is going to.

Drove the Reserve MKC, loved it, decided to do it.. called insurance, drove down, paperwork ready, car detailed, inspection stick and temp plate on.. she panicked and backed out.. my wife has spoken to her since. We were mortified they did all that work... and they were by far the best experience I have ever had at a dealership (small family owned and run).
Arghh!

You sound like me a few years ago, before my experience with my 2 powershift-equipped Focuses. Especially now, after reading the Detroit Free Press article on how Ford defrauded me and thousands of others with the Powershift debacle, my Ford fan-boy days are long gone.

I just had a brand new Kia Optima for a rental last week. Very solid and quiet. Nowhere near my Mazda6 in quickness and handling, but still a VERY solid entry.

When it's time to replace the Explorer, I will certainly consider the Telluride, which is getting great reviews, as well as the Palisade. Never would have said that just a couple of years ago.

The 10R80 received a lot of complaints about being jerky or unresponsive ever since they debuted a few years ago on the F-series, so I'm not surprised the 10R60 is doing the same thing. I was hoping they'd fix it on the 2020 Explorers.

Back