• Register Today It's free!

The 67 mph SHAKES

Steve Bobbitt

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have a '93 xlt with 203k miles on it. I have for the most part been very happy with my truck. I have a problem with the shakes at 65-70 mph. I had the trans. rebuilt in June of 02, and in July replaced the LTX MS tires with Bridgestone Dueler HT's. It seemed like as soon as the new tires were on, I started having ride problems. I took them back to the dealer 3 or 4 times to rebalance, one of those trips I had them rotated, hoping that would make some difference. It was obvious the tires were starting to cup, but no one could tell me why. Well, after around 10k miles I got them switched for a set of Firestone Wilderness AT's. They offered me the same tire but I decided to try a different tire after losing all confidence in Bridgestones.
Well, to shorten the story......the new tires also shake at 65-70 mph!! I took the truck back to the guys that did the trans. rebuild to check the drive shaft and connections but he said after driving it the tires were the problem(this was before the new Firestones were mounted). I took it to another shop who said they were 99% sure the driveshaft was the problem.
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a possible fix.

Definitely try the easy stuff first. Go and get your tire/wheels balanced. If that doesn't fix it, you can isolate the problem between your suspension and the driveline by getting to the speed that the shakes occur (perhaps a little above) and putting the transmission in neutral. If it still shakes it's something in the front suspension or possibly the wheel bearing(s).

Hey Steve, I had the same problem, I mean almost exactly. I had goodyear ats tires and they needed to be replaced so I got some comando xt's and the shakes began. I went back to get them balanced like 3-4 times, but it never helped. The more miles I put on them the more they cupped. I finaly took them off and got some new tires Pathfinder ATS, and it was still there. I got it alligned and the new tires never cupped but the shimmy was still there. I finaly got some new shocks even though mine weren't that bad and it almost disappeared. I would say to get a pair of Rancho 9000's and try that. If it turns out to help it's a small price to pay, if it doesn't at least you have some new shocks. Your probably due anyway. I hope this helps, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Clint

By the way this is a common problem with the 1st Gen X. (so I've heard)

Clint

Back