The Basics of Tuning … a book by SCT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Basics of Tuning … a book by SCT

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
SCT wrote the book on tuning, literally – The Racer Pro Edition of The Basics of Tuning. This book has it all; it’s an amazing read. Most of you are familiar with the expertise of Brian Herron ( formerly with Apten ); he is one of the books authors.

I feel that this book is an essential part of your tool collection. If you want to improve your truck by tuning the computer or just want to know more about what tuning is all about, get this book.

When my copy arrived, I couldn’t put it down.

I got my book from Doug Studdard at BanaChips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ). The price of the book is $75.00 plus shipping.

Chapter I - The Basics
Chapter II - SCT Hardware
Chapter III - SCT Software
Chapter IV – Basic Settings You Can Make
Chapter V – Tuning Concepts and Key Sensors
Chapter VI – Drivability Parameters
Chapter VII – Automatic Transmission
Chapter VIII – Tuning Math
Chapter IX – Hands-On Timing
Chapter X – Advanced Techniques
Chapter XI – FAQ
Chapter XII – Terminology

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered that about a week ago along with some Raptor datalogging software. Can't wait to get it here and start playing around with the cars.

Can you tell me really quick if it goes in depth in to supercharged tuning concepts?

Patrick,
Yes it does, to a point.
To be optimal when tuning an SC application, you really need a wideband A/F meter as well as the Raptor. The LM-1s are a GREAT unit, very portable, and can work in conjuntion with the Raptor. I have mine setup so the Raptor reads the outputs from the LM-1 and displays them in the graphs with the other data. Works very well when referenced to the MAF voltage/tics, which you need to properly adjust the MAF curve to change the A/F ratio in the programming.

Patrick98GT said:
I just ordered that about a week ago along with some Raptor datalogging software. Can't wait to get it here and start playing around with the cars.

Can you tell me really quick if it goes in depth in to supercharged tuning concepts?

No worries; I won't be anywhere near my engines without a W/B. I'm going to use a dynojet W/B instead of the LM-1, though.

While I'd love to splurge on the LM-1 and run it on the street, I'm out of money for electronic gadgets. I'm pissed at myself for spending the dough on all this tuning software anyway when I could just get my SCT chip re-burned through the mail for about $100 by JMS and their autologic tune worked perfectly for me.

I know the basics of how the software works and stuff--I'm buying the book almost specifically because I need more forced air specifics that the software doesn't go in to detail about. Mostly, I need to figure out how to set up the load tables to go over 1.00 (in to boost).

How useful is this ?
Once I get my chip back from Doug, how much more benefit will this book yield ?

Patrick98GT said:
I know the basics of how the software works and stuff--I'm buying the book almost specifically because I need more forced air specifics that the software doesn't go in to detail about. Mostly, I need to figure out how to set up the load tables to go over 1.00 (in to boost).

Use the scaler's,find out which scaler it is by looking at the borderline knock table and then goto either X or Y scaler and make your changes to that table to raise it. I've done this with both 4.0's using the Vortech's and Paxton's and now with the 3.0's using the Whipple's. Send me an email with your cal code and I can send you a file with these raised. Do you have a datalogger of some sort? Do you know what kind of load figures you are seeing? On most of my 4.0's I'm selling up to 1.5 but on some of my 3.0's I'm only seeing 1.2-1.4 with a stock pulley on the Whipple.

Later Doug.

it is a nice book, i got it for free signed by brian him self. i keep it in my bath room to read whem i am bored.

a little FYI the diablo book is only good for using as a door stop....

lol..

Doug904 said:
Use the scaler's,find out which scaler it is by looking at the borderline knock table and then goto either X or Y scaler and make your changes to that table to raise it. I've done this with both 4.0's using the Vortech's and Paxton's and now with the 3.0's using the Whipple's. Send me an email with your cal code and I can send you a file with these raised. Do you have a datalogger of some sort? Do you know what kind of load figures you are seeing? On most of my 4.0's I'm selling up to 1.5 but on some of my 3.0's I'm only seeing 1.2-1.4 with a stock pulley on the Whipple.

Later Doug.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I just need to see it in writing, I guess so I can be comfortable. I probably shouldn't even be attempting to tune this car myself, but what the hell--I figure I'll read up on it and give it a shot. If, after reading the book, I am still not comfortable then I'll have it done.

I already have the base file with my tune, and I think all the "load" charts are extended but I just wanted to have a concept of how to change them more or less if I need to.

I honestly would not be surprised if I see 2.00 load as I'm going to be running damn near 20lbs of boost. I'm going to play with the stock pulley and pump gas first to get comfortable, which will be about 14-15lbs.

Anyway, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, I just wanted to get a quick break down of supercharged concepts in the book. It sounds like it will be good enough for me.

thanks guys!

BTW, I have the Raptor on the way. The car is currently apart in my garage so I haven't begun to play with it, and have no idea what I'm seeing as far as tuning parameters. Before I took it apart to do my fuel system I was running with a mail-order Autologic chip that worked very well. i figured while I was doing the fuel system I'd upgrade the tuning software as well.

Back