Apten Who? (Hypnotic Illusions and Bamachips are the new rulers of the SCT world!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apten Who? (Hypnotic Illusions and Bamachips are the new rulers of the SCT world!)

ton_e_montana said:
So in summary, you are saying that my Apten chip is most likely "cookie cutter" tune and could be greatly improved to my delight by having these guys re-burn it and buy a flasher? Is a flasher going to improve my current chip or a re-burnt chip?

A flasher is an alternative to a chip. Just another method of storing the tunes and adding it to your Ex. Stores the same tunes.

Apten appears to be cookie cutter. They hardly spent any time with me. Just wanted to know my PCM code and the mods (intake, exhaust). That was it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ton_e_montana said:
I have a 2 program + stock chip burned personally by Brian at Apten before he left. I really fail to see the benefits of reburn or flasher at this point. I am willing to hear opinions from the experts though.

Also my correspondance with Brian via email was April of last year.

If Brian burned your chip, he likely tailored it to your specs and driving style just like Wayne or Doug would. Attention to detail and customized service. Apten doesn't do that anymore. You probably wouldn't benefit with a reburn because Brian knows his stuff.

All a flasher gives you is a bit of convenience and flexibility a chip won't. Also, you'll never have to deal with connection issues that a chip can create (happened to me and it happens to others).

Well thanks for the info. I realized recently about the flexibility of the flasher and I was just wondering if it would provide more gains. It seems it won't and its for user friendliness. I think I am set up pretty good from Brian. I have had zero problems with mine from day one. The only question he didn't ask me was what gears I had. Don't know if that will make a difference. Also I have standard transmission.

ton_e_montana said:
Well thanks for the info. I realized recently about the flexibility of the flasher and I was just wondering if it would provide more gains. It seems it won't and its for user friendliness. I think I am set up pretty good from Brian. I have had zero problems with mine from day one. The only question he didn't ask me was what gears I had. Don't know if that will make a difference. Also I have standard transmission.

I was asked about gears and tire size in addition to all the other stuff I mentioned.

I forgot you're one of those rare breeds with a standard tranny on a 01+ Sport. Shift points, who care about shift points, right?

Sounds to me like you're set. Brian is somewhat of a legend. :thumbsup:

celly said:
Brian is somewhat of a legend. :thumbsup:
Still is,,,,,,,at SCT.

He is the one Wayne and Doug get their base programs from, then they add their magic to that.

ton_e_montana said:
I have a 2 program + stock chip burned personally by Brian at Apten before he left. I really fail to see the benefits of reburn or flasher at this point. I am willing to hear opinions from the experts though.

Also my correspondance with Brian via email was April of last year.

A lot depends on what "blank" Apten/Brian used. When Brian did some custom work for me. he used a Diablo blank. Apten no longer uses these blanks and uses blanks and tuners from SCT.

Technology is computer tuning has advanced leap years since last April.

Keep an open mind, my friend.

Yeah, thats whats in the back of my mind Al. I feel good about what I got from Brian but I'd like to know that I have the latest. We are all in search of more gains(or at least I am ;)). Some of the more detailed questions weren't asked of me. Basically code, standard shift, and intake was the info I gave at the time along with letting him know I would be adding cat very soon after(which I did). I will be keeping on eye on these topics.

aldive said:
Technology is computer tuning has advanced leap years since last April.

That's why I'm watching how these new tuners pan out and will eventually go that route. My chip is safe...for now. :D

Do any of the folks offer upgrade trade-in type service for existing chip owners? I would venture to say no seeing as the future might be in the flashers.

If your chip is an SCT blank, it can be reprogrammed for you for a resonable fee,

How can you tell?

ton_e_montana said:
How can you tell?

Do you have a rotary switch to change tunes? Is your connector blue? (Hard to tell inside your Ex).

if so, you've got SCT.

I have HAD an Apten program.
I do not know if it was a Brian or not.
Thus far with my Bama programs I have only used the two 87 programs
and am tickled pink. There is a notable diferance between Dougs work and Aptens work.
Like Celly said, when I ordered my Apten I was asked engine size, year and computer code and how did I want to pay for it.
Doug asked me every thing. Even things I thought would make no differance. It would not have surprised me if he asked what color interrior I had, he was being that through.

i cannot wait for mine to come in the mail. i told Doug to run an 87 octane for a 33"tire and 87 for a 35" tire... and one more for torque for the 35, when i tow.

celly said:
Do you have a rotary switch to change tunes? Is your connector blue? (Hard to tell inside your Ex).

if so, you've got SCT.
Mine is a toggle switch to change tunes.

From what I've been told, the rotary switch (8 position I believe) is SCT. The two position toggle is Diablo. Unfortunately, Diablo can't be re-burned by Apten/Bama/Hypnotic.

Actually mine is 3 position toggle but sounds most likely a Diablo.

ton_e_montana said:
Actually mine is 3 position toggle but sounds most likely a Diablo.

It is, the Diablo has the toggle switch and the black connector and the SCT has a 7 position dial switch and a blue connector. Now just because it has 7 positions doesn't mean all of them can hold tuning, please don;t misunderstand that. The way they are numbered is normally 0-3 are the performance tunes, 4 is a stock position(basically shuts the chip off), and 5-7 are what most refer to as the anti-theft positions, the vehicle won't start if it's in any of these modes.

I offer a generous trade in allowance on competitors chips but if you have a Diablo tuned by Brian I may be able to squeeze a few more ponies out just because of the better software that SCT has but it's not really worth $200 extra unless you need a reburn, like adding a supercharger or nitrous. Stock to stock stick with what you got, I'm here to make money but not to rip anyone off by giving false promises.

thanks, Doug.

Doug904 said:
I offer a generous trade in allowance on competitors chips but if you have a Diablo tuned by Brian I may be able to squeeze a few more ponies out just because of the better software that SCT has but it's not really worth $200 extra unless you need a reburn, like adding a supercharger or nitrous. Stock to stock stick with what you got, I'm here to make money but not to rip anyone off by giving false promises.

This statement above pretty much typifies why Doug is a great guy to deal with. Both of our current SCT tuners/site sponsors have a lot of integrity. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate all of the info. Kudos to this site and the folks on it.

Back