the new guy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the new guy

4x4hauler

Reaction score
City, State
erie pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi, everyone about 2 months ago i bought my first ford truck, i bought a 93 ford explorer xls 4x4 4dr, 4.0 (160hp 220lb.ft) auto, red with tan interior, it has a 6" lift kit and 33x12.50" tires(installed by dealer)

i have one big problem, i tow my boat and dirt track race car, and i hate only being able to go 55-60mph towing on the highway getting past by every car,

i dont know a lot about explorer, i used to be a chevy guy, and since i love racing my dirt track camaro i know a few things about horsepower,

basicly it seems like i need 190-210hp and 260-300lb/ft, i dont have alot of money to spend $2,000(at the most)

also i heard that the explorers tranny sucks, how much power would it hold?

thanks
-matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site! First thing I would check is if the axles were regeared to match the 33s.

The stock transmissions are garbage and there isn't to much that can be done to them other than add an extra cooler and change the fluid/filter often. You can swap in a 700r4 but you might be hardpressed to do it for less than 2k. Use the search function on the board, there is alot of info out there.

welcome to the forum 4x4 and congrads on getting an x

ditch the x, get a jeep

thanks for the help,

a jeep, no thanks i think explorer look so much better than jeeps,

talked to the dealer i got it from today, he says it has stock gears which are 3.55(i think)

thanks for the help,

a jeep, no thanks i think explorer look so much better than jeeps,

talked to the dealer i got it from today, he says it has stock gears which are 3.55(i think)

Maresca you are on the wrong board, Jeeps suck so bad they need our old parts to make them better.

You need 4.10 gears for those 33's and towing with the auto. The explorer will run cirlces around a Jeep. Install a trans temp gage and aux cooler, trailer brakes are a must as well.

Go 4.56 if you're going to switch... No disadvantage over the 4.10's, and it's that much easier on the transmission.

so are you guys saying that i wouldnt need any performance mods if i regear?

i also like to show off(burnouts, passin at high speeds, and racing around)
im also in a small 4x4 club(10 members), we end up going down to the track every month, and i dont want to have the slowest truck, with my chevy i was the 2nd fastest, i would still like to be the 2nd fastest (i ran 16.5 at 81mph), if i would have to guess i would say my explorer is in the mid-high 18's so it need to drop 2 seconds

someone help me out, they next run to the track is in 2months
-matt

410 Gave you the best advise. But I too, would go with 4.56 gears, Aux tranny cooler, and a temp guage.

gearing is dollar for dollar the best $$$ you can spend on mods, you go bigger tires you MUST correct the gearing to get the drivetrain back into its powerband. 4.56 gears with 33's will get you off the line faster, but your high end might suffer slightly.
I drove a long ways with my boat behind my truck on 33's so 4.10s suit me fine, in OD my RPM's at about 75 are right around 2500, with this new V8 the 4.10's will still be fine :)

I was doing the math on this earlier... with the Mazda trans and 33's, I think I came out to running around 3100rpm at 85. Still comfortably below peak hp, so unless you're planning on cruising even faster than that, you wouldn't lose any power by going that low.

im also getting 10mpg-11mpg city how would i get that to say 15mpg city?

GEARS

You see the tire is larger forcing you to drive around in the engines incorrect power band, takes more gas to get going, keep it going. You need to regear, but first find out wat gears you have

he said he had 3.55's gears,

soon im gonna be regearing to 4.56's, from what i hear you get your stock power back

Back