The Scoop On Scanners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Scoop On Scanners

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed a million times, but I need to get the scoop on the code scanners that are always being discussed. I always think of pro-shop diagnosis machines as being incredably expensive. Are these code scanners affordable? Are they worth it? I own a small company and have 3 xs out in the field, and always run into smaller paroblems. Every time it is not something obvious, I end up spending $60-$70 at my garage to get the things diagnosed. Most problems I (or my guys) can fix ourselves, but in this sensor-dependent world, the hard part is finding what's wrong.
Would one of these scanners be worth my money?
Which is recommended and where do I get the best deal?
Thanks for any info,
Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

scanners range from 30-hundreds...it depends...do you want a blinking cheapo or a digital dealership grade scanner?

should I need a dealership grade model? will it tell me more than the cheapos? I just need to keep 3 xs on the road. every day one is down, it costs me money.

91-95 Explorers have OBD I computers. The code scanner is $30 and will just tell you the codes and you look it up in the book they come with. 96+ X's have OBD II, and the reader is about $150. I just bought one and use it frequently. A combo for both is about $200-250. A dealer scanner is way more expensive, but you don't have to look up the code in the book (larger display) and often they tell you a little more info than the little books. For the vast majority of people, the consumer grade model is just fine.

You can also go out and get a Haynes Reapair Manual. They'll show you where you can plug in a voltometer. All you do is count the spikes, and match it up with the code in the book. I had a check engine light coming on and I used this method. It said that i had a problem with the EGR sensor. I wasn't sure if it was right so I went to Ford, spent $60, and their diognostic tool pulled up the same code, and the same description. Don't even bother spending the money. Just get the book. It has a lot of good things in there and they're only $20.

Originally posted by airwake
You can also go out and get a Haynes Reapair Manual. They'll show you where you can plug in a voltometer. All you do is count the spikes, and match it up with the code in the book. I had a check engine light coming on and I used this method. It said that i had a problem with the EGR sensor. I wasn't sure if it was right so I went to Ford, spent $60, and their diognostic tool pulled up the same code, and the same description. Don't even bother spending the money. Just get the book. It has a lot of good things in there and they're only $20.
Keep in mind this method only works for 91-95 explorers.

thanks again guys.....man, this place is great!!!

my mistake. I forgot to say that. Thanks Jason. Has anyone used one of those tuners for OBD-1 explorers. I found one on JC Whitney for $200 that can scan for codes, as well as tune the engine. I'm thinking about getting it, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Could you elaborate a little on that tuner?

Does it allow one to adjust the spark timing and rev limiter?

The OBD-I scanner I've been drooling over is made by autoxray (part number 10120). I usually see it for $150 to $200. I know of one fellow on this board who has one of these and he likes it. Anyone else use one of these?

Back