• Register Today It's free!

The search for more turbo sound

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I've been looking into ideas/ways to hear the turbos a bit more on the sport since they are just so quiet. I came across a huge 30 some page post on the F-150 ecoboost forums about the intake system having two attenuators in them.

If anyone remembers the old tornado infomercials this is pretty much the idea. Its put into the intake piping prior to the turbos to help dampen sound.

So to bring this story to full close, has anyone had any of the intake piping off on either a Sport, Flex, or Taurus SHO to confirm or deny if this is even on this version of the ecoboost?

I'd probably give this a try, but before wrenching all day I figured I'd ask around first!

Thanks!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are two pictures from the thread i'm talking about which references these parts and their location on the truck.

IMG_20111207_160552.jpg

IMG_20111207_160700.jpg

I guess that gives me something to do today. I'll head out and check for you.

So with these removed, do they make the turbo spool more noticeable?

Thats my question....1 are they even there, and 2, will it improve the sound at all.

You stationed there at Clovis or live there by choice :D

I got sucked into this abyss, lol...there's no way I would live here by choice.

I took the tubing to the air box out and I didn't see anything downstream. The piping is way smaller going towards the firewall than the piping shown above, so I don't think we have any in ours...unless they're really tiny and way downstream of the box.

It'll be nice when someone designs us some intercooling piping, because the stock setup is like sucking through a straw...the stuff is skinny as hell!

I researched and made numerous calls to the right people to find out what would increase turbo noise the most. concluded the following:

The only real way to effectivly increase the turbo sound is to go with down pipes and full exhaust, or larger turbos.

Personally I went with a CAI which adds a little extra turbo sound but not much. I personally wouldnt go to the extreme of replacing the down pipes as this is my wifes daily driver. Im overall happy with the CAI intake sound and maybe down the road if BORLA makes a cat back system I may intertain that.

that sucks, was hoping there'd be another easy/free mod to do here.

I did the vent to atmosphere mod last weekend on the BOV's. HUGE difference in sound. You really hear the turbos blow off once you let out of the throttle. Surprises a lot of people hearing that noise come from an explorer lol

Yeah, I'm not really looking for BOV sound, a little too much for me. Just would love to hear some whoosh/whistle :D

Having driven a supercharged car for years now, I can't believe how quiet these turbos are.

Those aren't in the intake pipes on the transverse vehicles.
More turbos sound = either upgraded turbos or an intake like mine with the filter in the drivers fender.

Those aren't in the intake pipes on the transverse vehicles.
More turbos sound = either upgraded turbos or an intake like mine with the filter in the drivers fender.

I know those aren't the transverse pipes, but was asking if ours had any commonality with those ones from the F-150

Back