The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice

So I'm sitting at my dealership that I purchased a used 2013 Explorer Limited from on Saturday. Test drove for a solid 25 minutes around town getting up to 60, gunned it a few times, then the car sat idling for another 60 minutes after the test drive, no sulfur aroma at all. AC was on, recirc was on for some off for some, rear was on as well.

Sunday we took a 120mi round trip to visit friends, on the way home, awful sulfuric aroma, thought hm thats odd...started looking on the forums and see all of these issues, I'm now pretty concerned about if I should even be keeping this vehicle.

The battery died due to the 15* temps this morning, so I'm at the dealer having it replaced. while it was sitting in their service bay it stunk up the whole place. After I jumped it at home I let it run for about 20 minutes before driving off, the fumes AROUND the outside of the vehicle were quite obnoxious. I don't get why this has anything to do with air vents? If you open the windows on any other vehicle you don't get that smell, the sulfur smell is an indication of something wrong...

It seems that there is STILL no fix for this? I see now there is a class action lawsuit. It took forever to find the used car we wanted, I don't want to have to start that search over... Do I need to try to 'return' the vehicle? Does the fix work for some not others? Is there anything else I can try? I would've thought this would have shown up on the test drive...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm sitting at my dealership that I purchased a used 2013 Explorer Limited from on Saturday. Test drove for a solid 25 minutes around town getting up to 60, gunned it a few times, then the car sat idling for another 60 minutes after the test drive, no sulfur aroma at all. AC was on, recirc was on for some off for some, rear was on as well.

Sunday we took a 120mi round trip to visit friends, on the way home, awful sulfuric aroma, thought hm thats odd...started looking on the forums and see all of these issues, I'm now pretty concerned about if I should even be keeping this vehicle.

The battery died due to the 15* temps this morning, so I'm at the dealer having it replaced. while it was sitting in their service bay it stunk up the whole place. After I jumped it at home I let it run for about 20 minutes before driving off, the fumes AROUND the outside of the vehicle were quite obnoxious. I don't get why this has anything to do with air vents? If you open the windows on any other vehicle you don't get that smell, the sulfur smell is an indication of something wrong...

It seems that there is STILL no fix for this? I see now there is a class action lawsuit. It took forever to find the used car we wanted, I don't want to have to start that search over... Do I need to try to 'return' the vehicle? Does the fix work for some not others? Is there anything else I can try? I would've thought this would have shown up on the test drive...
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
That smell is produced by the catalytic converter.

Peter

I have a new '17 Sport with 415 miles and it had the bad sulfur smell issue when merging today on the freeway. The AC was on and in the recirculation position. It is repeatable under hard acceleration.

EDIT: I followed members here and filled a complaint with the NHTSA, #10924538

I have a new '17 Sport with 415 miles and it had the bad sulfur smell issue when merging today on the freeway. The AC was on and in the recirculation position. It is repeatable under hard acceleration.

EDIT: I followed members here and filled a complaint with the NHTSA, #10924538
The sulphur smell is not exactly the same as the exhaust smell. What you experienced is not really that uncommon in any vehicle these days. It is in most cases caused by the catalytic convertor and the sudden burst of exhaust forced through it by hard acceleration. Your post has been moved to this thread on the same issue.

Peter

I believe the two "smells", exhaust and sulfur, are the same issue, just worded differently. The matter of the fact is that it's entering the cabin in some way and it shouldn't be. This is my first vehicle which has had this problem but its definitely not the first vehicle which was catalytic converter equipped. Please move this post back to the original thread in which I had posted it in.

http://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

whats this rotten egg smell everyone is talking about, I have never smelled it on any of my vehicles or sitting in traffic on other vehicles exhaust. I'm assuming if you can smell it inside you must smell it standing by the exhaust pipes or is the this rotten egg/sulphur smell something different not related to exhaust?
Only thing that comes close that i can think of is if you drive behind those guys that like to delete their catalytic converters on their performance cars and you get this odour and it burns your eyes a bit.

http://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

whats this rotten egg smell everyone is talking about, I have never smelled it on any of my vehicles or sitting in traffic on other vehicles exhaust. I'm assuming if you can smell it inside you must smell it standing by the exhaust pipes or is the this rotten egg/sulphur smell something different not related to exhaust?
Only thing that comes close that i can think of is if you drive behind those guys that like to delete their catalytic converters on their performance cars and you get this odour and it burns your eyes a bit.

Search vehicle "rotten egg smell" and you will get thousands upon thousands of hits.
Toyota, MB, GM, Honda, orther Fords etc...have all been reported by drivers of producing a rotten egg smell during WOT/hard acceleration.

I had it happen on a truck once and it was the O2 sensor causing it.

Oh, only on hard acceleration it does it? I was smelling an odour but dismissed it as maybe a/c water dripping on the exhaust, exhaust heating undercarriage etc, I found nothing dripping or stuck on the exhaust though, I was thinking it was ptu fluid but mines leak free and wasn't thinking its my exhaust recirculating back into the vehicle since I don't hear a leak. I would have to try it again to confirm.

Back