The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice

Let us know how the trade-in goes this morning...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let us know how the trade-in goes this morning...

Actually its going in today for the new tsb. It is only 10 months old and has already been in the shop 32 days.

See if they will give you the full TSB number...

Someone needs to buy one of these and prove once and for all if this is exhaust gases (CO2) or something related to the cooling system parts outlined in the TSB...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/co300.php

I have a cheaper alternative. I'll plug in my outlet powered carbon monoxide detector from my daughter's room into the rear ac power socket, do some hard acceleration then see if it goes off. I'll post my results.

I have a cheaper alternative. I'll plug in my outlet powered carbon monoxide detector from my daughter's room into the rear ac power socket, do some hard acceleration then see if it goes off. I'll post my results.

I have a handheld, rechargeable CO level tester here at work. We use it to adjust the propane engines to "OSHA safe" levels on the forklifts. Its accurate down to .01% (its a real piece of industrial equipment, not some $100 toy.). If anyone in the area wants to run some test, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

FYI for anyone that believes they are poisoning their families...
OSHA standards are a max of 35 PPM of CO per 8 hour shift. I usually adjust the carb to around .5 PPM of CO on non-catalytic converter trucks. I cant see your brand new, fuel injected engine, running its exhaust through a catalytic converter is putting out anymore then a 20+ year old engine.

Someone needs to buy one of these and prove once and for all if this is exhaust gases (CO2) or something related to the cooling system parts outlined in the TSB...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/co300.php

I've got one of these and get the smell only ocasionally, but in my rig, it does not register as CO and those little sensors are darn sensitive! I'd say the PPM is likely not at a toxic level based on that. That said, some may well be worse than others so one sampling point is not difinitive enough for a result...IMHO.

-Kevin

Actually its going in today for the new tsb. It is only 10 months old and has already been in the shop 32 days.

gpzrider - did you get the TSB done? Any results to report?

gpzrider - did you get the TSB done? Any results to report?

Parts were on back order, just received by dealer and dropping off today at 5 pm. I don't have a lot of hope this will fix my issue since this is not how my problem develops but service manager said bring it in to see if it works.

Parts were on back order, just received by dealer and dropping off today at 5 pm...
...I have the burning exhaust smell too when the A/C is on during RPMs higher than 3,000...
gpzrider & 1995E,

I see you both have follow-ups scheduled from your regional Customer Service Managers; please let me know via PM if you have any information you want forwarded before then.

no, I've had the smell with just the front a/c on...although now that I'm accelerating more and more the car (instead of just cruising it) the smell has definetly decreased...
I've got one of these and get the smell only ocasionally, but in my rig, it does not register as CO and those little sensors are darn sensitive!...
Joeymustang & Kevin,

I want the smell taken care of once and for all, guys. So I can help by escalating to the CSM for your region, please PM me your credentials (VIN, contact info, dealer name/state, and mileage).

Cory

New tsb for this problem.

TSB 12-8-8 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L TI-VCT engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

It's official. This TSB does not cure the sulphur smell entering the cabin under hard acceleration. Funny thing happened while car was at the service department. After the TSB had been performed, a Ford Tech just happened to be at the shop, passed by and said, "...that TSB is not for the sulphur smell, we're still trying to figure out how to fix that..." Of course not a direct quote as I was not there to hear it myself. Second had knowledge.

Is the smell possibly more of a mildew/plastic odor rather than sulphur? Both obnoxious smells..I took my new Explorer to the Florida panhandle and just returned home. The weather was driving, torrential rain and flooding on the roads, high winds and generally horrible driving conditions. After dropping dgtr off, I had to drive home. The vehicle handled perfectly and, I said to myself, if it was going to leak, now would be the time. In the cargo area, on the passenger side, is a little storage area with a twist off/on latch. I had put an emergency kit in there, eg plastic raincoat. Usually, husband does fuel filling, but being alone, I did it and apparently did not push the fuel door completely closed. I thought I did, but the next fillup, noticed the door not completely closed tightly. After arriving home and unloading, I did not open the small hatch for 3 days. When I did, everything in there was wet. Not damp, wet! It was already starting to mildew. I looked with a flashlight to see if there was a hole, but I can't see anything. I opened the fuel door and it appears there may be a connection to the storage area above the recessed area where the fuel goes and maybe the blowing rain at highway speed allowed rain to travel up into that area. Could be the source of some of the smell issues if it is picked up by the ac unit. No smell of gas was noted, no sulphur smell. 1200 miles total . Update: Husband just looked at it and feels it is a roof leak where the rails are. Not a big deal, but needs to get fixed.

Mine's at the dealership right now for some warranty work and the smell along with speaker replacement and seat cover replacement is on the list..

I was standing behind the ex today with the engine running. The exhaust smelled like rotten eggs. Is this the smell you guys are talking about?

Fumes in the Cabin of my Brand New Ford Explorer second vehicle.

This is the second Vehicle with the same problem breathing exhaust fumes in the cabin and it is brand new. I had a Ford Flex that did the same thing so traded for an 2013 Explorer and having same issues and so sick of it. Brand new the smell was so bad almost had to pull over and leave the vehicle my friend that was with me could not breath. This is just not good. I have been in your system for months now with both vehicles. They keep telling me next month next month next month. Now they are not even calling me back and I am so tired of being taken advantage of paying this much for a vehicle. I was upside down in my Flex and now paying more for a vehicle that does the same exact thing. I have sent a letter to Vice President Mr Ford today and if something does not get done soon I will then call the Media. This is just not right we pay a lot for these vehicles and should not have to breath exhaust. Mine does it with and without the recirculate button on. Just passing a vehicle at a normal rate of speed on the highway. Makes me very ill had a head ache for many days nothing would take the head ache away. So I hope something comes of this soon or this will be a lemon. Just tired of being ignored. So going to put this on as many blogs and I can to let people know not to buy one of these vehicles until they have a fix. Thought the Flex was just a bad one and so tried something newer and different well paying more for this one too with same issue and I am livid! The person in customer service is not even returning my calls left a message 3 days ago and called each day she did this another time before what is up with that???????????
Just had to vent and let others know I have had it!!!!!! Sick of being ignored it is rude not to at least call people back. So hope others read this and there is no fix for it and may never be. Found this same issues on blogs from as far back as 2009. Great huh! Easy for someone to day trade it well in my case it did not work and will never buy another one. Hope posting here gets their acts together or someones attention because I am so upset I will not give up until this is handled correctly. We are elderly and just wanted to get our last vehicle we could keep and enjoy through our retirement well not going to happen just have to be stressed out over this durning my retirement. Just not right.

So glad the Explorer is someone else's headache now. Sold like a dawg....

"Is the smell really a big deal?" - dealer to me

"Um, this is a new car, so yes big deal."

My amazement shall persist on as to how many "little issues" are "no big deal and handled when I had the oil changed". It's amazing how Ford owners are so okay with all this little BS. Props as I truly believe Ford owners have the most patience ever. You can keep it, peace out!

Has there been a fix to this problem yet??
I just bought mine a little over a month ago and also have the same issues.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has there been a fix to this problem yet??
I just bought mine a little over a month ago and also have the same issues.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

NOPE! PeterK9, can you merge this thread with the other Burnt or Bad Smell Under Hard Acceleration please???

Back