The Wrong Way To Install an Aussie Locker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Wrong Way To Install an Aussie Locker

Daveos

Reaction score
City, State
Southern UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I bought this truck a few months ago. When I was out wheeling in soft sand I heard a terrible, horrible, nasty sound come from the rear end. It was clear the locker had disengaged and was spinning up before banging back into place. One more time and I decided to open the differential and pull stuff out. I had never done this before so it was a fun learning experience. I contacted the guys at Aussie Locker. All I have to say about them is they are amazing. I didn't know much about the locker to start with and the engineer over at Aussie gave me a lot of guidance on trying to diagnose the issues. Customer service second to none. It was clear to him right from the get go what was going on when I sent this picture.

aussie1.jpg

You can see there the center gap isn't even close to being within specs. And it got worse:

aussie2.jpg

The guy I bought the truck from had a local shop install this locker not long before I purchased the truck. THIS is the job he was charged for. They removed both thrust washers, and because of the thicker ring gear they ground the cross pin down to get it to slide in. This in turn caused the drivers side axle to have enough play for the C clip to get twisted up and was grinding the crap out of it. This play combined with the wider center gap was causing the locker to disengage and spin up. Luckily the locker parts were all still usable and I didn't have to purchase a new one. Two new thrust washers, a new cross pin, new C clips and I was on my way to fixing the locker. Instead of grinding the pin, they recommend grinding a tooth on the ring gear down to get the pin to go in. All rather easy, had it put back together within a few hours and so far so good. Thought I would pass along this locker story in case anyone out there finds themselves in a similar situation.

Fixed
aussie3.jpg

Cheers!

Good info, thanks! :thumbsup:

I had the same thing happen with a Powertrax No-Slip locker. It blew up and wedged itself at an angle in the carrier on the Rubicon after I had someone regear to 5:13's. He ground down the pin to make it fit, not fully understanding that the locker uses the pin to push the locking plates together. Luckily, the locker was so bound up, it acted as a spool instead of coming completely apart on the trail. I had to cut the carrier in half to get it out. Powertrax warrantied the locker and even sent me a new pin. Sold the No-Slip and installed a Detroit.

Good to hear you received such good customer service from Aussie. You should post here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406808&highlight=great+customer+service

This is why I do all the work to my own vehicles. People are so incompetent it's unbelievable.

Back