• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying a ST

t5cents

Reaction score
City, State
Eureka CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
hi, my name is Tim and im new to the fourms...i have been on ranger forums for a couple years but i recently started looking into a sport track....im gonna copy and past my thread from RF...

o so i was at the junk yard today looking around and i they have a 2001 sport trac with the 4.0 SOHC, 5 SPEED!!! it has 4.10 gears with rear L/S. it has 109,x.. miles on it. the pass side spindle broke and the tire flew off similar to what just happened to me. it messed up the pass side fender. also the driver door is dented in pretty bad...but i work at a body shop so i could easily get it fixxed. it has power everything and it has a vinyl floor.....basically the ultimate set up....my plan is to put my stereo, superlift, aussie, tires and wheels and basically strip my truck and make it stock again.... and put what ever i can on the ST....then sell my truck.....so im pretty sure the superlift will go on it but i what to make sure...what do u guys think?

here are some pics...

0908001432.jpg

0908001433.jpg

0908001433a.jpg

0908001433b.jpg

0908001433c.jpg

0908001433d.jpg

0908001433e.jpg

0908001434.jpg

0908001435.jpg

0908001436.jpg

here is the thread if u wanna read more...

http://www.ranger-forums.com/f15/sell-my-truck-sport-trac-what-do-u-think-112139/

and here is a couple of my ranger...

0818001610.jpg

an older one
IMGP0011.jpg

and the most recent...:(
0901001844a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(copied from RF)

ya...but its only 1500.....and all it needs is a driver door and a pass fender.....the tail gate im not worried about, and i was planing on building a new rear bumper so that doesnt mater...there is a white 02 expo in there with a good driver door so got them to throw that in with the deal...and get the wheel bearing and cv shaft off that expo too all included in the $1500. so then all i need is a pass fender and the hood and both fenders and the driver door painted.....and i work at a body shop so ill get it done for the price of paint....so im thinking its gonna be less than 500 to get it all nice and pretty...and then throw my lift on it and any other parts i can off my truck....i have a list of all the stuff i have into my truck and how much it costs....i have about 5500 into my truck (including buying the truck) but by the time i strip it...i added up the stuff that will stay on it, and it was only like 1700....so if i sell it for like 3500 than i make 1800 off it....which is almost enough to buy and fix the ST and ill have my 3000+ worth of stuff on it....sooo

Welcome. An '02 Explorer door won't fit the ST. :(

Did they have any 95-01 Explorers there? I'll be working over that way at the end of the month.

Looks like you have a HUGE project though. :cool:

really?...it was a sport if that matters...i thought they looked the same...o well....and ya they have some older ones too...they had a bunch at the beginning of that cash for clunkers thing ...but they have crushed probably like 15 of them since then....where u gonna be working?...also is there anything i should look out for...problems or thing i should know about ST's? thanks

Well, measure. The Sport doors are something like 5" or 7" longer than the four door doors (for easier access to the rear seating area). That's how the 95-00s are at least.

I'll be working on a transmission line over by Indianola cutoff.

o nice...what company do u work for?...my dad is the supervisor for davy tree...

I think the Superlift front diff bracket is different between Rangers and Explorers/Tracs but you might be able to make something work. Also if you swap the lift then you're on your own to lift the rear because Rangers are sprung-over so the Superlift kit gives you taller blocks, while Explorers/Tracs are sprung-under so the Superlift kit for them gives you new rear springs.

I think the Superlift front diff bracket is different between Rangers and Explorers/Tracs but you might be able to make something work. Also if you swap the lift then you're on your own to lift the rear because Rangers are sprung-over so the Superlift kit gives you taller blocks, while Explorers/Tracs are sprung-under so the Superlift kit for them gives you new rear springs.

Ya I know...I actually have a 31sp expo axle in my truck that I did soa on and am using bneltech shackles and expo leaves for my rear lift so ill just soa the axle that's in it....and I think that on the 01's the diff bracket is the same.....at least that's what the guys over on rf said

Doors are different even on the Sport. Front end stuff is the same but Sport Trac doors are Sport Trac only. Can't help you with the Ranger/Trac suspension differences. From the photos I'd say there was an impact that broke the spindle off.

Transmissions are the only big "look-out" spot but it should be the same as your Ranger, I think. The $1500 price is good even for the amount of body damage. Nice tonneau & roof rack cross bars.

i would buy it just for the motor and drive train. that's a pretty good deal, especially if you have the resources to fix it properly. does it have a brand/title now?

looks like a lot of work. wouldnt it be easier if you found an ST with really high miles for cheap and just swap the mottor and tranny? just a thought. i once found an ST with 300k for 4000obo several months ago......

Its really not that much work....all it needs is a fender and a door....and all the susp parts that are broke will be gettingg replaced the the superlift stuff any way....for 4000 I could have this thing fixxed witht the superlift and a new door and fender and all painted to match....and it only has 100k.....I think its gonna be around 1000 to get the door and fender replaced and every thong painted...so then I'm only in 2500 bucks......

Back