Thinking about getting a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about getting a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport

BMan5150

Reaction score
City, State
O-HI-O
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
We've narrowed down our pilot replacement choices to a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport or a 2014/15 Dodge Durango R/T. I've scoured this forum and the web for recurring issues for the 13-14 Ford Explorer Sport and came up with few. Sounds like there was a problem with water ingestion from the inter cooler on the 2013 that may have been resolved with the 2014 MY; turbo and intake piping was installed at the factory with loose clamps; general fit and finish issues.

Am I missing anything? Is my info accurate? I'm mostly concerned that Ford has resolved the water ingestion issue.

The one design issue I'm struggling with is how wide the vehicle is. It's even a little wider than our pilot, which is very wide. The durango is a few inches longer and has a longer wheelbase, but the turning radius is smaller. I've drive both, and almost feel like the longer durango was easier to maneuver. Our Pilot has tons of dings...I think people think we are parked too closely even when we are smack in the middle of a space! I have to park inside of a side load garage, and also have to back a bass boat up into that same garage so maneuverability is important as well. Any thoughts?

Oh, and oddly enough, I though myFord Sync was excellent! Easily figured out how to perform many functions before my test drive. I even told the sales person that I didn't want any help, thinking at least then I'd have an idea how I'd be fiddling thru the setup if I bought it. Seems very intuitive, so I'm not understanding all the consumer complaints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure others can speak to Sport issues, but I bought my 2011 XLT a few months ago and immediately updated to MFT 3.6.2 and I find it to be fine. Screens look slick, works great for my needs - primarily music over Bluetooth and USB. I use the steering wheel controls for that and it works great. Only time I use voice commands is to make calls and I find that works great too. I think they got the bugs out and MFT is fine, though I hear it used to be a big hassle.

As far as width, the Ex is wide. I won't park it in a full lot with cars on either side unless I absolutely have too. I can live with that, but could be a hassle for you.

I can't speak personally for the sport issues, but I can tell you I rarely see them come into the shop for any problems other than general maintenance. As far as width goes, yes it is wide. I normally park wherever there is a spot and my explorer only ended up with 2 dings. One was my fault for opening the door into another cars mirror and the other someone else did. I think the size is deceiving though because there has been plenty of times where I thought I was too close and when I opened the door there was plenty of room.

Mplayer1

We've narrowed down our pilot replacement choices to a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport or a 2014/15 Dodge Durango R/T. I've scoured this forum and the web for recurring issues for the 13-14 Ford Explorer Sport and came up with few. Sounds like there was a problem with water ingestion from the inter cooler on the 2013 that may have been resolved with the 2014 MY; turbo and intake piping was installed at the factory with loose clamps; general fit and finish issues.

Am I missing anything? Is my info accurate? I'm mostly concerned that Ford has resolved the water ingestion issue.

The one design issue I'm struggling with is how wide the vehicle is. It's even a little wider than our pilot, which is very wide. The durango is a few inches longer and has a longer wheelbase, but the turning radius is smaller. I've drive both, and almost feel like the longer durango was easier to maneuver. Our Pilot has tons of dings...I think people think we are parked too closely even when we are smack in the middle of a space! I have to park inside of a side load garage, and also have to back a bass boat up into that same garage so maneuverability is important as well. Any thoughts?

Oh, and oddly enough, I though myFord Sync was excellent! Easily figured out how to perform many functions before my test drive. I even told the sales person that I didn't want any help, thinking at least then I'd have an idea how I'd be fiddling thru the setup if I bought it. Seems very intuitive, so I'm not understanding all the consumer complaints.

I bought my 2013 Explorer Sport a little over a month ago. I've put about 1500 miles on and I love this car. It is wide but I really don't have a problem with that. I've owned 5 earlier explorers or mountaineers and this is by far the best yet! When I was looking to decide on a vehicle the only two choices for me were the Ex Sport or the Durango. I absolutley love the way the explorer feels and the power is great! When I drove the Durango I thought it was decent but the seats weren't that comfortable and the front end was pretty nose heavy. There was no power advantage but the explorer was more nimble on the road. This is just my humble opinion but I feel like I made the right choice for my family.

Hopefully they have fixed the leaky roofs on the 2015's
Read a few threads below this issue on 2011-2013 explorers, including ours. Up until to this issue, I would always recommend the explorer as a "buy", but this leaky roof issue has changed that recommendation.

Short list of issues we have had going by memory:

Under warranty:
MFT issues (minor)
Chattering front windows, replaced motors.
Something loose in middle row bench, fixed.
Bubble on driver door panel by arm rest, replaced
Lots of oil on clean air duct tube, replaced valve cover with new design.
Windshield wiper stalk broke/ stopped working, replaced.

I think I am missing a couple, but can't remember right now....

Current issues (out of warranty):
Misaligned dash to door panels, never bothered my enough to address with dealership.
Turn signal stalk will not always engage
Leaky roof in third row area

Yeah, I knew what I was getting into with buying a first year of a brand new model, but that was over three years ago, so all of these issues should have been addressed on the 2015's.

Hopefully they have fixed the leaky roofs on the 2015's
Read a few threads below this issue on 2011-2013 explorers, including ours. Up until to this issue, I would always recommend the explorer as a "buy", but this leaky roof issue has changed that recommendation.

Short list of issues we have had going by memory:

Under warranty:
MFT issues (minor)
Chattering front windows, replaced motors.
Something loose in middle row bench, fixed.
Bubble on driver door panel by arm rest, replaced
Lots of oil on clean air duct tube, replaced valve cover with new design.
Windshield wiper stalk broke/ stopped working, replaced.

I think I am missing a couple, but can't remember right now....

Current issues (out of warranty):
Misaligned dash to door panels, never bothered my enough to address with dealership.
Turn signal stalk will not always engage
Leaky roof in third row area

Yeah, I knew what I was getting into with buying a first year of a brand new model, but that was over three years ago, so all of these issues should have been addressed on the 2015's.

Your issues are the exact same ones I had...and I have a 2013 !

I had a 2012 XLT and had 0 issues in the year and a half I owned it. I recently traded that in and bought a 2014 Sport, other than a frayed wire that caused the airbag light to come on (which the dealer was able to fix fairly quickly) I still love my car. I had a 2009 Dodge Charger SRT-8 before switching and that thing was a nightmare for warranty issues.

Also from owning both Ford just seems to hold its value better than Dodge and that's a plus

I took delivery of a 2014 Sport, 3 weeks ago (first Ford in 20 years) and have not had any mechanical/operational issues yet. It is fully loaded (moon roof, captain chairs, adaptive cruise, DVD, Tow Package, etc.). Vehicle is wider than necessary, but not really an issue for me. I always park very remotely and enjoy the extra walk. My only criticism of the Sport is that it is not "Tall" friendly. Seems like it was designed around wider & shorter people. I'm 6'4" and the ergonomics are a little awkward (pedal location, can't stretch your left leg, exiting through door well). Also, position of rear seats could have been better to favor tall people (we are a tall family).

However, that being said, i am extremely fond of this car. It's very nimble and responsive (I added a Livernoise Tune). It is a unibody frame which makes it 2000# lighter than a Tahoe/Durango. Can't tow as much weight, but it with feel much more car like.

When i was looking for a sport SUV the Durango was not on my list. Considered the Jeep SRT8 and the BMW X5 (Wife has a '13 535XI M). For me the Sport Explorer was the best compromise of room and performance. The Durango will offer room, but it will perform like a heavy SUV.

Lastly Body design played a large role in selection. Ford borrowed heavily from their former Range Rover ownership. Giving the new Explorer a more sophisticated Classic appearance. Durango still borrows from the "evolution of a truck" (my opinion of course).

Hope this info helps, and if you come down on the side of an Explorer Sport, I doubt you will have mechanical issues, for you now benefit from several generations of model development and Ford has resolved all the issue that currently appear on this board.

db

I have had very very few problems with my sport and absolutely LOVE it. I am encountering bubbled paint on my hood after 21000 miles but I suspect Ford is going to fix it when they look at it on Monday.

Great feedback and info! Thanks for everyone's comments. I am leaning heavily towards the explorer sport. Next test drive, I plan to take it to a parking lot and see how we like parking it in between two cars. I think it won't be any different than parking our pilot, although the turning radius, vehicle length and width are all slightly more than our pilot.

One thing I'm not clear on is if the explorer has front parking sensors. They are super handy on the pilot when parking in our side load garage or in a parking spot with cars on both sides.

Bought it!

I am now the owner of a 2014 explorer sport! Ruby red, 401 package, tow package, buckets, console. Got it for $1000 under invoice after the $2000 rebate. Gave me what I wanted as well for my trade (KBB "good" trade in value.) I just had a gut feeling I could do better for a late 2014, and I was right. The dealer was great and really the entire process was pretty painless. Now I won't have buyers remorse and can enjoy my ex sport.

I looked the vehicle over with a very careful eye. Truth be told, some of the outside panel fitment was not perfect, but three other explorers showed the same kind of fitment. Not a big deal, but it wouldn't win any body fitment awards. The interior dash, panels, etc fitment, however, was very good.

I like the sunroof more than I expected. Kids love it, of course. Seats are really comfy. Love the steering ratio. I wouldn't say it's got tons of feedback but it steers sharply. Transmission seems very smooth and difficult to confuse...something that always drives me nuts with automatic transmissions. Didn't seem super fast but it gets up and goes. Definitely more powerful than the non turbo v6 or my old honda pilot. MFS seems very good...easily figured out how to navigate around all the menus.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Congrats! I am sure your happy, great car.

Congrats, after you break it in a little, floor it and let us know what you think about the power. 365hp really gets up and goes. Love mine.

Back