Thinking of getting an extended warranty on my 2005 Explorer any advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of getting an extended warranty on my 2005 Explorer any advice?

shamusw

Reaction score
City, State
wilmington, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Hi I recently purchased a 2005 Explorer XLT with the sport package, truck has 25k miles. I am thinking of getting a extended warranty for the truck, as I expect to keep it at least 5 + years. Does anyone have advice on warranty companies?

My research findings suggest buying directly from a company like warranty direct is a better move then from Ford.

Any info or any insight anyone had would be great full.

Also I am wasting my money by buying one???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go with Ford Premium Care ESP

I just had $4500 !?!?!(really) worth of repairs done under this comprehensive warranty. It cost $1600 to cover the vehicle for 5 yrs/100,000 miles.
In its favor, it really does cover ALMOST everything; the price is competitive with the warranty direct types, I think; you only deal with your Ford dealer, not some independent insurance company rep in the event something is questioned.
And these companies have gone out of business before and will surely go out in the future. If you're a policyholder you're gonna lose. Shop around on the net and phone - there are deals on bonafide Ford ESP's. Good luck.
p.s. too bad my Exploder needed all that work, but thank goodness it got genuine parts, probably trained labor, and I got no warranty issue headaches.

I just had $4500 !?!?!(really) worth of repairs done under this comprehensive warranty. It cost $1600 to cover the vehicle for 5 yrs/100,000 miles.
In its favor, it really does cover ALMOST everything; the price is competitive with the warranty direct types, I think; you only deal with your Ford dealer, not some independent insurance company rep in the event something is questioned.
And these companies have gone out of business before and will surely go out in the future. If you're a policyholder you're gonna lose. Shop around on the net and phone - there are deals on bonafide Ford ESP's. Good luck.
p.s. too bad my Exploder needed all that work, but thank goodness it got genuine parts, probably trained labor, and I got no warranty issue headaches.

i have an 05, i bought to top end ford extended warranty, 5 yr 100K. It only cost $1300. You can negotiate the price down through the Dealerships finance department. They have enough say so to make it happen.

I am looking at the ESP warranty myself right now and they have some discounts that you can get for up to almost $200. I just purchased my Explorer but look to put over 100,000 miles on it so I am thinking that I am going to go for it. 1300 is alot less than 4500 at one time. I have the AdvancTrac 4x4 and pretty loaded inside as well so the Premium Care looks like the deal to go with.

I purchased an extended warranty. It wasn't the Ford extended and the guy that sold it to me made it sound like the Ford extended was to expensive at the mileage my truck had on. I'm starting to think it's a bad mistake. No support from Ford on this one even if I bought it at the dealership. Had the truck in for two small issues that, one the dealer heard the noise and couldn't find the problem (so they charged me the labour to check) and the second one was a lumbar support that sounded like crap, but still worked, so no warranty til it breaks completely.

The service advisor said they had their hands tied, the warranty company decides if it's covered or not. I recomend the Ford one if it's available.

I am looking at www.fordwarrantys.com. Its the Ford ESP warranty that I have still available to me and the jump in price from the 75k warranty to the 100k mile warranty is significant but could quite possibly be worth it completely. I think I will be purchasing the Ford Warranty for sure now. I have had the ESP warranties on previous Fords and have not had any problems getting things fixed. I figure I will go with the 200 deductible too to keep the cost down and no matter what most things cost more than 200 to fix.

I am looking at www.fordwarrantys.com. Its the Ford ESP warranty that I have still available to me and the jump in price from the 75k warranty to the 100k mile warranty is significant but could quite possibly be worth it completely. I think I will be purchasing the Ford Warranty for sure now. I have had the ESP warranties on previous Fords and have not had any problems getting things fixed. I figure I will go with the 200 deductible too to keep the cost down and no matter what most things cost more than 200 to fix.

I bought my '02 XLT 4x4 in October '05 with 51,000 miles on it (no factory warranty left) and in January '06 things started tearing up.

First the rear wheel bearings went out (they had supposedly already been replaced by the dealer). That was an almost $1000 service. Then the intermediate band went out in the tranny and it was discovered some other problems existed in the tranny. They wanted to charge me $3100, but I got the parts wholesale and knocked the price down to $2200. The rear liftgate panel is now cracked (these are ALL common problems with Explorers), and that's being fixed tomorrow for a few hundred MORE dollars.

If you plan on keeping it 7 years, get a 7 year warranty. If you're keeping it 10 years, get a 10 year warranty. In other words - make SURE it's ALWAYS covered by a warranty. I've been hit with almost $5000 in service bills on a 4 year old vehicle in the past YEAR. That's not right! :mad:

I'm now wondering if I should look into the ESP or just hurry up and pay off the Explorer and buy something reliable. :rolleyes:

I purchased the 100k mile warranty today for $1375 and figure that it will come pretty close on time and miles that I plan to put on this Explorer. I figured that if I got the 75k mile warranty that most of my issues would happen between 75-100k miles so I went with the 100k. Was very easy process to purchase if you have the funds to do so! Let the miles roll!

API warranty. Has a Guraranteed Price Refund... if you don't use it, you get the full cost back at the end. As soon as you use it though, no GPR. So you have to choose wisely if you start using it for smaller repairs or not. I'm basically saving it for a large repair that is more than the cost of the warranty itself versus hoping to use it several times for smaller issues. With any luck i'll have no large repairs and get the full amount back at the end of the term. Seems like a deal to me.

Jason

Are there any warranties out there that you can purchase if you already have 65,000 miles? I'm looking for something to cover me up to about 100,000 miles...

Back