• Register Today It's free!

Who has an extended warranty

kevinapg

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I just drove home a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport, 2WD, 30K miles (6K miles of factory warranty remaining). I got it for a steal at $11.6K! I'm considering an extended warranty.

Please post the company you went with and your service experience. I'm looking into www.1sourceautowarranty.com
$1370 will cover the works to 100K miles or 10 years with $0 deductible.

Comments???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That seems like a excellent deal
I bought my 96 XLT with 74k in february of last year for 11k and i bought a 24k/2 yr basic warranty from ford for like 900 and that has a $100 deductible but it replaces anything. So your deal sounds really good, much better than fords. makes me feel bad i got ripped. also that deal on your truck is pretty kickass also, was it loaded?

A friend of mine has 1Source on her truck and it has worked flawlessly for her.

Based on her recommendations, I also went with 1Source and have had no problems.

Good luck....

I bought Warranty Gold's top of the line Diamond Plan to cover mine for 7 years/100 K miles with $0 deductable.

DUE TO THE GAMES THEY STARTED PLAYING ONCE I GOT CLOSE TO BREAKING EVEN, I WILL NEVER CONSIDER ANOTHER PLAN FROM WARRANTY GOLD.

I got a warranty through ford the dealer calls it an ESP. (Extended Service Plan) Its great. We've used a couple of times and were getting ready to take it back in for round two of repairs for only 100 dollars. I will never buy a vehicle without a warranty. Yours sounds like a good deal.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 2002 Eddie Bauer 4X4 and have also been researching an extended warranty from 1SourceAutoWarranty.com

Anybody know of any negatives? Like finding it difficult to get claims paid? Any other weasel tactics?

They seem to offer the best bang for the buck, but I want to be sure that they'll be around and do the right thing when I may need them.

Many thanks in advance for any help. Feel free to email me as well.

Blues

Anybody?

Thanks.

Consumer Reports suggests sticking with warranties backed my major auto companies. Dealers will sell you whatever makes them more $$ and seem to keep steering me away from Ford. According to Fords website, they offer a wide range of plans, from Powertrain only to a bumper to bumper plan.

The one that is closest to 1Sourceautowarranty.com is the Ford EXTRACARE plan, 84 mo, 75,000 mile for $2120 ($0 deductible) MSRP. That means it's very negotiable. Wish me luck negotiating! I love to beat up car salesmen. I think I'll bring the 1source quote with me.

The 84 mo / 84,000 mile 1source plan is $1124 ($0 ded). That's $996 less than Ford.

Thanks for your reply, Kevin.

A couple of service managers I've spoken to mentioned that getting service under some aftermarket policies can be a pain. I've heard nothing either way about 1Source (as yet).

I've tried to email some folks about 1Source but they've not gotten back to me with their experiences or those of their friends/colleagues.

The service manager at the Ford dealership where I'm purchasing my Explorer told me that they've had good luck in the past with GEICO's MBI as an alternative to a Ford plan.

The good thing about GEICO's MBI is that it's "pay as you go", roughly $40 some odd bucks for every six month period with no outlay of money up front. So you can discontinue the policy at any time and only be out the money you've paid for coverage to date. (You must elect it within 11 months/11,000 miles on a GEICO insured vehicle.)

The coverage extends to 7years/100,000 miles.

The bad thing is that you pay a $250 deductible for any covered work. If you have several repairs, obviously that would run into some money.

Still, your out of pocket (barring repairs) would be under $600 for the 7 year period, and you'd have protection for major work where necessary.

I'd still love to find out if 1Source is a good/reliable company. I see that they're listed with the BBB in Colorado but I'm not sure that that's reason enough to take the plunge.

Hope to hear with others that have experience, good or bad.

I had Ford's ESP plan, used it a couple times and was very satisfied. I only had it until 60k though, definately go for 100. In my experience these trucks need almost a complete overhaul between 60-100k miles, best time to have the warranty.

i have ford's esp. i've taken my truck twice for repairs since i purchased it in '99. first problem was a broken drive shaft--drive shaft was replaced under warranty. second problem was a bad idler pulley. there was a whirring sound whenever the engine was running--replaced it under warranty. not a penny was spent by me. warranty is a definitely a must have.:usa:

aldive,

If you get the chance, please email me at bluesman7_@hotmail.com

I've tried emailing you through the site but am not sure it's getting through.

Thanks.

Back