Thinking of painting bumpers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of painting bumpers

I would expect future reiterations of the Limited to be more monochromatic. This is what usually set them apart fom the base model and the XLT. Maybe we will see this in the 2013 offering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys for the compliments! I agree with everyone, it looks finished.

I would expect future reiterations of the Limited to be more monochromatic. This is what usually set them apart fom the base model and the XLT. Maybe we will see this in the 2013 offering.

Bill, you are right, many manufacturers do this on a regular basis. Usually the change comes with the MCR. Two examples that come to mind are the first generation Mercedes-Benz ML and the first generation BMW X3. Both had gray bumpers that got painted later.

Bill, you are right, many manufacturers do this on a regular basis. Usually the change comes with the MCR. Two examples that come to mind are the first generation Mercedes-Benz ML and the first generation BMW X3. Both had gray bumpers that got painted later.

Yeah, I think they do this in the beginning to simplify the manufacturing process, and then with later model years, they do this slight "updating" to keep things fresh, and to slightly differentiate a 2013 from a 2011, for example.

Did they remove the parts to paint?

Yes they did. All parts came off. That's how we found out the park sensors were above the black trim.

By the way, the shop said some manufacturers use special clips that can be very expensive. All the trim parts on the X are held by standard clips.

Thanks guys for the compliments! I agree with everyone, it looks finished.

Baxterdown, your ex looks awesome.
Rgarding your above comment, another vehicle example I can think about is the GMC Acadia, had quite of bit of black on the bumpers and the 2011 Denali version have them all painted.

They really took the time to understand where the pieces would meet non-painted surfaces and what would look best. They even matched the back-up sensors on the rear bumper to look exactly like the ones in front (which are already painted).

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean by "meeting non-painted surfaces and what would look best".

In my previous post I forgot to say how great your X looks.

I just took delivery of my '11 Limited last Tuesday and hadn't thought about this modification. I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me as I had the same thing done to my '04 MINI back when I bought it new. Makes such a difference in the look of the car.

Here in my part of North Texas GM products in the SUV category far outnumber Ford. If you're driving a GMC or Chevy you see yourself coming and going all the time. First it was the Suburban and Tahoe but the Acadia is gaining ground. The Explorer has not caught on here but given the styling and standard features I know it will. I want to personalize mine now much like I did the MINI.

With the MINI I removed all the pieces myself and took them to the body shop so they never saw them on the vehicle. I'm inclined to do the same and am happy to hear there are no expensive clips used. Does anyone have experience removing these trim pieces? Does anyone have shop manual PDFs or know where to get them?

Thanks in advance.

Yes they did. All parts came off. That's how we found out the park sensors were above the black trim.

Are the park sensors different that the back up sensors? My '11 has little round sensors mounted in the black trim of the rear bumper. I thought you mentioned in a previous post that the body shop did a good job of matching the sensors on the rear. I assume in that description they were painted to match when the whole rear trim was painted?

Oh my..it looks AWESOME!!!

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean by "meeting non-painted surfaces and what would look best"

Look at this picture:

DSC_0098.jpg

Notice how the painted trim meets the inside of the wheel well, which is non-painted. That is what I was referring to.

Are the park sensors different that the back up sensors? My '11 has little round sensors mounted in the black trim of the rear bumper. I thought you mentioned in a previous post that the body shop did a good job of matching the sensors on the rear. I assume in that description they were painted to match when the whole rear trim was painted?

Yes, the back up sensors are the little round "dots" you see on the bumper. The park assist sensors are black boxes located behind the bumper cover (I wish I had taken a picture!).

Yes, the back up sensors were painted to match. I made the distinction because the back up sensor is comprised of three individual parts, one of which appears to be a rubber ring. The body shop took the time to paint the two "surface" components only and didn't paint the rubber ring (they could have easily just slapped paint on everything). That way, the finished painted sensors match the ones from the factory on the front. If you have them on your car, take a look at them on the side of the front bumper. You'll see what I mean. Here's a picture I took of my car which illustrates what I'm saying. This is the sensor from the factory on the front bumper. The ones they painted on the back look identical.

DSC_0118.jpg

That truck look sweet!!! Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

Now i'm just wondering what it would look like on the Red Candy....

Where did you get those intial pics at the top of the thread?

That is sweet, too bad I haven't seen you driving it around yet. I too contemplated this awhile ago, but hesitated due to my concerns for long time wear. But since I got the boat, I will not do it because they both flow so well together with the lower black which goes all the way back to the boat as well.

Awesome in about a year you should do an update on how the paint has held up and is dealing with the tropical weather.

Nice!! Again, happy Exing!

Notice how the painted trim meets the inside of the wheel well, which is non-painted. That is what I was referring to.

Yes, the back up sensors are the little round "dots" you see on the bumper. The park assist sensors are black boxes located behind the bumper cover (I wish I had taken a picture!).

Thanks for the clarification! This afternoon I'll be heading to a couple of body shops to get estimates. I may discuss with them the pro's and con's of not painting the inner surface of the wheel arches, I worry about stone chips. Have you seen any?

Awesome in about a year you should do an update on how the paint has held up and is dealing with the tropical weather.

Just an FYI on this subject. Half of the body shops I've talked to say you can't paint these surfaces and get good or lasting results. I just say thanks and go on my way. I had the plastic on my '04 MINI done 7 years ago and it is still holding up. The rocker skirts have had impact on parking curbs etc and other than scrapes there has been no cracking or wrinkling that one might expect as the part flexes. Leading edges of the wheel arches show some wear as is to be expected after 7 years of facing the wind and road debris. All in all I'd say the stuff still looks good 92,000 miles later.

If you are set on having this done you only need to make some calls and you'll find a shop to do it properly. The shop I'm going to use was located on Angieslist.com and over the phone the owner said, "...sure we can do that, it's all in proper prep." He's shooting mine for an even $1000 if I remove and bring the parts to him. Not as good as Baxter's $1,100 turnkey but I guess it's close enough.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

That's a deal, know to find a good body shop!

By the way, the shop said some manufacturers use special clips that can be very expensive. All the trim parts on the X are held by standard clips.

CAUTION: I'm in the process of reassembling my X after having the parts painted. Like the glutton for punishment I am I opted to remove the parts myself. Doing so I've encountered a couple significant stumbling blocks.

1. Not having the precise tool needed to remove the trim I ended up removing the parts but not the clips that hold them on. Some mounting points on the parts, especially the lower ones of the door mouldings did not fare so well and tore. Replacing those mouldings is cost probitive as the rear door moulding prices about $140 and the front door at about $160 so I plan on repairing the mount points as best as possible.

2. Still lacking the tool I tried to remove a set of the clips holding the rear wheel arches (driver side). My rationale was that the clips would be cheaper to buy than the specialty tool. The front arch clips are accessible so I was able to remove them without damage. After breaking 6 of the 8 clips I took a break. Before removing more I called the dealer and ordered some. Packaged in groups of 4 they were priced at almost $3.00 a piece! I ordered 16 but since the door moulding parts require a total of 30 per side it was time to get a tool!

3. My friend who owns a shop (and is painting the parts) suggested I be at his shop when the Matco guy comes around. I did so and bought a set of tools from him. A single tool for the job would be about $16, the assorted set I bought was $70. You never can have too many tools right? I brought the set home and started removing clips again. One thing I found is the rubber gasket between the clip and the sheet metal tears easily. While I was much more successful removing clips from the passenger side rear wheel arch I still broke one or two.

4. While waiting for my local dealer to call me to say the parts were in I started calling other dealers to locate the same parts. Seems none were in stock but one dealer. I called them only to have the parts manager tell me the clips I'm talking about are not available...not sold individually. YOU HAVE TO ORDER THE WHEEL ARCH TO GET THE CLIPS! :eek: I just got back from my dealer's part department where this was confirmed. You cannot buy the clips alone. Apparently the parts guy who ordered my clips misunderstood what I was looking for and ordered the wrong part.

(Baxter, you might ask the paint shop who did your parts if they broke any clips and if so did they replace or not?)

So now I'm faced with buying an aftermarket clip or just adhering the trim on the car with 3M double stick. Northland Fasteners ( http://shop.northlandfasteners.com/N20981-Wheel-Flare-Moulding-Clip-With-Sealer-N20981.htm ) carries them but I'm running out of time and need to get my X back on the road Thursday. I'm not concerned with the holding power of the 3M but rather the difficulty in removing the parts down the road. I guess if I ever need to remove the parts (fingers crossed) it will be due to damage and the parts will be ruined anyway.

I hate being a DIY guy at times!

Ouch!
I'd take the clips in question to a body shop and see if they recognize them from another model, or something close enough to work. Hopefully the clips are a fairly standard piece. Forcing a shop to buy the panel to get the clips sounds a bit, well, it's a car dealership, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope so! Or at least after the mid-facelift.:thumbsup:

Back