This is what happens with a trailer on black ice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This is what happens with a trailer on black ice.

Going to work this morning, I was pulling a single axle trailer to drop off at lunch at a buddies house. Cruising along at 30-35 MPH. suddenly the truck lurches and I'm pointed at the median. I correct, but the trailer over corrects for me. the truck and I are flung between both curbs (boulevard). I know I was on two wheels at one point, i think the trailer pulled me back down. For several hundred feet I was swerving from curb to curb. Finally get the thing stopped on the shoulder. And I just sit for several minutes, collecting my self. Then walk out on the road and pick up the ramps. It wasn't until I got to work that I noticed the A frame on the tongue of the trailer was bent to hell, then I noticed the holes in each quarter panel. You know this trailer was really swinging.

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds scary, good thing you were wearing your brown pants....

One of the sales dudes where I used to work loaded a Bobcat on a trailer and took it up for delivery. He came back shortly after- no tongue weight at all, he figured that it would be better for the truck... :D

He said "I knew I was in trouble on the highway when I looked in the rearview mirror and the trailer was swinging in and out of the mirror view, side to side... Trailer, nothing, trailer, nothing, trailer, nothing..."

LOL!

Glad you made it through though- ice is definitely a squirrely situation!

I seen a guy on my way to work this mourning picking up what was left of his trailer and what ever he was hauling. Looked like the trailer eventually came unhooked and rolled a few times.

whoops that sux bout ur x

I've done the same thing with my little utility trailer in the snow but luckily it only broke the back plastic on the bumper but it was definitely interesting.

Back