This list envolves everything wrong w/my expo please help me!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This list envolves everything wrong w/my expo please help me!!!!

hardazz04

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
1. My truck when I first start it and drive it acts like it is in 4wd..moaning wheni slow down and poping when I turn..the tires in the back like they are trying to turn faster...once i hit over 35mph 4wd goes away and 4wd hi and 4wd low flash 6 times.. I was told (B)speed senors(/B)???

2. Tranny is not shifting into 2nd gear i have to let off the gas to let it... but when I shift manually from the coloum all is well????I heard it might be a shorted sensor in my tranny pan??

3. My map light does not work and outside temp guage does not either as if it has no power...not that big of a deal but wondering whats up

4. passenger window will not roll upwhen I hit the automatic roll up swithch it seems like no power is relayed to it??? how do i get to the motor and how do i take the door pannel off

5. Air bag idiot light stays on all the time when car is on???

6. luckilly my engine runs like a peach no problems there thank god:D

thank you any one who wants to help me, sorry for the long post but it will ask all the questions I have and hopefully get my expo up to shape soon..If you want to help me, in your reply just put the number of my problem that i listed above at the beginning of your reply,and any writes you know the url or link would be helpful...thankyou everyone soo much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moaning

First check the fluid level in the transfer case. When I bought my 97 it felt funky in the front end. Drained the transfer case and only a pint of nasty fluid came out. There was supposed to be 1 1/2 quarts. The rear shaft seal was leaking but it didn't show signs of it till it was filled up. Been fine for over a year. There are two speed sensors on the case. Check the electrical connection on the front one.

The transmission uses a speed sensor on the rside of the transfer case. This takes the place of the old mechanical speed governor. Another sensor is only about $40. Might want to try dumb luck. I'd get a manual first. Get a manual at www.bulkpart.com for $16. You ought to drop the pan, tighten the valve body bolts at this age. Parts below.

23921 Microfelt filter 4WD long pickup tube $10.35

These must be ordered separately, you are buying bulk!
23270 filter O ring large $.29
23271 filter O ring small $.48
23141 pan gasket cork $.69

thanks alot!!! Ive droped the tranny pan and replaced the filter with a autozone one, is that sufficient? I also drained and refilled my T case fluid..when I drained the t case and tranny the fluid looked like a strawberry milkshake..not so good...but now it looks alot better!!!:)
For the speed sensors do you know of any write ups for them? if not can you tell me exactly where there located at, what they look like, how to remove them and how to diagnois whether good/bad?? thanks
eric

Do you own a haynes or chiltons manual? I know in the chiltons manual it tells you how to test some sensors. Does your speedo work? if so it's probably not the speedo sensor. how ever the speedo sensor is on the t-case, towards the rear up top on the driver's side. there are 2 wires going to it. I'm willing to bet your t-case problem is associated with that as well, it does sound like your 4wd is engaging and it makes sense it would stop engaging around 30mph since the auto 4wd is designed to shut off around that speed.something with the speedo is messed up it would affect your temp display and possibly the airbag system. As far as the window is concerned it sounds like you shorted out the relay or switch when you sank the truck, A multimeter should help you isolate the problem. The door panel comes off fairly easily, you have to remove the trim piece around the door handle on the inside and there are 2 screws in the arm rest that have to me removed, then you just pull the panel off, there are little white clips holding the panel on and sometimes they break when you take the door off so you might want to get extras.

Good luck with it.

Had my windows go out on my 97

Probably from rain and/or the cleaners detailers use. Removed the door panel and found corrosion on the connector pins of the switch. Cleaned the pins and added some silicone grease to prevent corrosion. Connector went on very easy but I had to do it all again in about a week. The connectors are very weak and I had to stick a probe in to increase the pressure for a good contact. Now I have the window lock switch that is intermitant. Flipping the switch makes it work again for a wile so I haven't torn into that yet. If you're going to own an Explorer, buy manuals.

Doug thank you very much! My airbag idiot light came on once i sunk it so that gives me more reason to assume its the speedo sensor..but it could just be a short in my air bag relays...one question..every one keeps telling me to check my speed sensors---is that the same thing as the speedo sensor--im guessing so but i have no idea what they do or what they look like--is it in my actual t case? or is it a box out side of it?

operahouse good info im going to check the connecting terminals tommarow and see if there is corrosion!!!there probably is because the water was up to my switches,but if its not the connections where could i go from there?im guessing there is some kind of motor or relay right? well anyways i was thinking and maybe you could sodder the connecting pins down to keep a hold...

problem..I was trying to pump my front diffy dry when the hose i was using got stuck to something in the diffy.. when i pull on the hose to get it out it turns my drive shaft a little???wtf i guess thats my luck for you!!!how do i take the front drive shaft off...thanks
eric

air bag have nothing to do with speed sensors.
SRS systems run their own discreet system.
Many body shops will have a air bag code reader.
Just have them read the code. Tell me what it is, it might be a easy soluition.

im not positive but i think the overhead console and the power windows run through the same fuse in the fuse box.....
usually when you have a few electrical malfunctions at the same time its because of the same problem, such as blown fuses

well I fixed my passengers auto window today.. luckilly it wasnt my motor...it was just my relay from the push button to power wires,it was all corroded and took just a little cleaning...
I have a question? when I put my truck into nuetral, with the engine off, and pushed it I noticed the front drive shaft was twisting... is that normal? I would figure just the back one would do this

Thats normal, the front axle is always engaged thus the front driveshaft will always turn. the speedo sensor and speed sensor are the samething.

Originally posted by hardazz04
well I fixed my passengers auto window today.. luckilly it wasnt my motor...it was just my relay from the push button to power wires,it was all corroded and took just a little cleaning...
I have a question? when I put my truck into nuetral, with the engine off, and pushed it I noticed the front drive shaft was twisting... is that normal? I would figure just the back one would do this
You weren't under a rolling truck in neutral were you?! :eek:

Also, did you every verify that your T-case had enough fluid?

Speed sensors are enough to confuse anyone

There are a number of them. There are two, one on the front and back of the transmission for shift functions/failure. Another two on the front and rear face of the transfer case for auto 4WD. And the speedometer operates off the one on the top drivers side of the transfer case. This supposidly is also used by the transmission for the 1>2 shift point. In later years this one is gone and it uses the sensor on the rear differential.

Switches: Don't even think of soldering, you will just melt the plastic. It is easy to bend back the contact spring in the connector block with a small probe to increase the pressure.

Re: Speed sensors are enough to confuse anyone

Originally posted by Opera House
There are a number of them. There are two, one on the front and back of the transmission for shift functions/failure. Another two on the front and rear face of the transfer case for auto 4WD. And the speedometer operates off the one on the top drivers side of the transfer case. This supposidly is also used by the transmission for the 1>2 shift point. In later years this one is gone and it uses the sensor on the rear differential.

Switches: Don't even think of soldering, you will just melt the plastic. It is easy to bend back the contact spring in the connector block with a small probe to increase the pressure.

Glad I don't have an auto, there's only 1 speedo sensor for me to worry about. :)

alright you are a badass every one just tells me to check the speed sensors and me not knowing much I had no ****ing idea but you just broke it down + When I m driveing my 1>2 is not shifting right--- that answers alot----also I fixed my power windows 3 days ago---my switch relay was coroded..i just bent back the metal rod and disactached my auto window up (it seemed as if that metal latch that creates current to the motor was stuck always on the on position from the auto windo up) and walla it worked fine... the switch relay only cost 14 dollars at auto zone....

Transfer case, any change yet?

Know you changed the fluid. I assume this is 4WD auto. Can you switch it into 4WD and back? If a sensor is bad and it thinks it is slipping, it may force you into 4WD all the time. One way to check is to disconnect the electrical conector to the shift motor. This will electrically disconnet the 4WD clutch (brown wire). I put a switch on mine to force me into 2WD. This will likely give flashing lights.

The speed sensor ought to give a flashing light or at least erratic operation of the speedometer before it effects shifting. I Haven't bought the manual yet for the 5R55E so cant give you more control theory. Just been lazy since I have a spare transmision and only have to drive ten minutes to buy one. You should get one. It will more than pay for itself.

good news!!!! I change the front differential fluid, which came out looking white, and sprayed down my t case with a hose. after that everything worked right!!!!Transmission,T case,front end every thing!!!! I figureed out the clicking and the poping from my front end was my gears in my front diffy not being lubed...my speed sensor, i guess just needed to be cleaned up....
thank you every one who has helped me!!!!!

glad to hear it. now i bet you will stay out of the mud for a few days or at least you better :D .

Back