this that or the other HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

this that or the other HELP!

Ok Ive done the torsion bar twist and installed new 8.5" shackles and suddenly my tires look too small so now Im looking at tires. Im going to use my stock 15x7 rims Ive read almost every post on this subject but I must have a poor imagination because its very hard for me to picture what 33x12.5's would look like on my truck. Im not serious off roader I just want a meaner look for my truck. some one recommended 265/70/r15"s but If i did my math right these are only 1.25" wider than my current tires . Ive noticed alot of people put 31x10.5? Need some advice. If anyone has a pics to help me picture the finished product please send them to me.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Explorer do you have? I have a 1996 and I am hoping to do the torsion lift in the future. If you are considering 33's I would have to suggest that you go with 33x10.5 BFG's as the 33x12.5 may be too big for your stock rims. You could also look at the 32x11.5, and I have heard that they will fit on 15x7 wheels. The 31's are a good size tire and if you are not sure, then you should try them. I am in the process of finding out if 33's would fit with the 95+ torsion lift, if it can I am planning on getting the 33x10.5R15 on my stock 15x7. If you have a 95+ Explorer, take a look at Rick's 1995 Explorer Sport Expedition with 32's. This will be a good determiner because this size is right in between the two sizes you are considering, or at least were suggested to you. I hope this helps!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

What year Explorer do you have? I have a 1996 and I am hoping to do the torsion lift in the future. If you are considering 33's I would have to suggest that you go with 33x10.5 BFG's as the 33x12.5 may be too big for your stock rims. You could also look at the 32x11.5, and I have heard that they will fit on 15x7 wheels. The 31's are a good size tire and if you are not sure, then you should try them. I am in the process of finding out if 33's would fit with the 95+ torsion lift, if it can I am planning on getting the 33x10.5R15 on my stock 15x7. If you have a 95+ Explorer, take a look at Rick's 1995 Explorer Sport Expedition with 32's on page 5 of Reader Submissions. This will be a good determiner because this size is right in between the two sizes you are considering, or at least were suggested to you. I hope this helps!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

I have a 98 sport and im leaning toward 31x10.5 on my stock 15x7 rims. Or maybe 265 70 r15's if I can find a decent set.

I've got a '95 XLT and I have cranked the torsion bars for 1.75" of lift up front and 8.5" warrior shackles gave me about 2" of lift in the back. I run 31x10.5R15 BFG AT's and I personally dont think you would want to put anything bigger under there. In fact, I don't know how Rick fits those 32x11.5's on there due to the width. 33x10.5's would fit inside the fender wells, but I think you would have some pretty significant rubbing. My rear tires rub the inside of the wheel well just a little at full compression and my fronts rub the sway bar on full turn. I think my front driver's side tire might rub the top of the wheel well at full compression too, but that has not been confirmed other than a mysterious clean streak on the top of the well. In summary, someone needs to try the 33x10.5's and post their findings, why not you? Ask the guys at the shop if they will let you put on a set and drive it around the block. If not, a lot of tire places have a 30-day return policy, so you could try 'em for a month and see. They will fit on the stock wheels, but the guys at the tire shop will give you a hard time about it because their fit books tell them they won't. You will probably have to run lower tire pressures to keep them from wearing funny. FWIW, I am very happy with the look, ride, and performance (both on and off road) of my 31's. I think it is a good size with the lift. I am curious if the 33's will fit though, so someone please post their findings.

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

I had a similar problem... I too wanted to keep my stock rims... Go with 33X10.50 BFG All Terrain KO's... They wear wonderfully and they work great offroad.

Happy Wheelin',

Joe Dead Link Removed
94 Explorer XLT
4" SuperLift Suspension
SuperRunner Steering
33X10.50 BFG All Terrain KO's
KKM Tru-Rev Intake
Flowmaster II Exahaust
Custom Cat.... Dead Link Removed

Back