• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on Mustangs

gard_mc

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I'm looking for input on Mustangs. I have found a 99 GT convertible with 43K miles loaded with everything that comes up available on edmunds.com (unfortunately including automatic) for a little under $15.

I'm also looking at an 01 convertible with not many options but CD and 23K miles, also auto. for a little under $15.

The 01 would be great because it is still under warranty BUT the GT would be a real kick to have! Has anyone owned either of these, especially in a convertible? I've looked around some mustang sites, but put a lot more value in the opinions of most of the people here!

Thanks in advance for some help deciding!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the GT, it is worth it. Ive driven both of the above mentioned cars, and although the 3.8 V-6 is a good little motor as far as power, it is the worst motor ford has ever built. youll have to do your head gaskets every 100,000 (if your lucky) guaranteed. The 4.6 is quite possibly the best motor ford has ever built. Ive never known anyone to have any problems with one, and 46K is not a lot of miles. If i were you, id definitely go with the GT.

I second the 4.6

I have owned about 5 mustangs all with the 5.0 and my cousins 98 GT with the 4.6 kicks major ass:D

I have found a 99 GT convertible with 43K miles loaded with everything that comes up available on edmunds.com (unfortunately including automatic) for a little under $15.
That is one helluva deal!!:D

i had a 93 gt totalled it at 80,000 miles excellent car not 1 problem got a 94 cobra another excellent car only problem i had was i broke the rear sway bar. i raced them both alot especially the 93 i saw the new 4.6 cobras run at the track first year of the 4.6 i mean and i was amazed so go for the gt you will love it oh the cobra had 97k when i sold it i had twins so it had to go.

dont even think about the V6. get the GT. you will thank us all later on down the road. as said, the V6 is a very maintanance prone motor. in stock form the 4.6 will last forever (just about). :)

First off, the 96-98 GTs are total turds, stay away from them!!!! The heads on them are AWFUL. a 98 gt against a 99gt stock to stock and mod for mod a 99GT will KILL the 98.

That being said get the GT. If you end up with an automatic you can always get a shift kit and higher stall Torque Converter.

The broken sway bar thing was common on a few years, not a big deal though. My buddy has a 2000 GT, BONE STOCK snapped the crank shaft in two..freak thing I guess...never really heard of that before. Only thing Ive really been told while looking at used GTs is to make sure its a cold start, and have someone nail the gas a few times and watch for any smoke as some of these engines like to burn oil.

www.mustangworld.com
www.fordpower.net
wwwstangnet.com
www.corral.net
www.modularmadness.com

Theres more but I cant remember them at the moment

I am with everyone else, go for the GT. If the auto is a prob I am sure you can look around and find a 5spd.

Thanks for all the input BUT....
I went the day before everyone responded and bought the V6 (on the 17th)!!

Now I'm worried if I made the right choice, I went for it because it had so many less miles and because the lot the GT was on ticked me off (I really clashed with the salesman, I had been dealing with another, but he was finalizing another deal). Anyway, they were both with the same dealership, just different lots. I wonder if I could do some sort of swap or if its too late? In some states I know you can back out of a contract within 3 business days or so and I did the paper work after the end of the business day Thursday and with today being Good Friday maybe it hasn't gone through yet? Any lawyers around here? I'm really tempted just to call and see what they are willing to do, but how would you handle that, "Hello, I'm an idiot and bought the wrong car"??

Oh well, I'm really happy with the V6, but every guy wants a GT from the time they are 10 or so!

see if you can trade it... and get the real one you want..... if buying any new vehicle other than the explorer, i would be sure it was what i wanted..... but if you want the v6, there are mods you can make to them to be pretty bad. but the v8 would be easier and cheaper to mod in the long run......

Originally posted by gard_mc
Thanks for all the input BUT....
I went the day before everyone responded and bought the V6 (on the 17th)!!

Now I'm worried if I made the right choice, In some states I know you can back out of a contract within 3 business days or so and I did the paper work after the end of the business day Thursday and with today being Good Friday maybe it hasn't gone through yet?
Ummm....all I'll say is you made a mistake lol. The V6 barely and I mean barely gets better mileage the the sohc V8 and, has no where near the reliability of the 4.6, and no where near the power and mod potential of the 4.6. It takes a lot of money even to even hang/beat a stock GT.

If you still want an auto 99' GT, just have a full catback, x or h pipe, intake, and high stall convertor and 4.10 or 4.30 gears and you'll have one very fast auto there. Gears and Convertor alone will change an auto 99-03 GT with an incredible performacne difference, auto GT's with 4.10's-4.56 gears launch extremely hard and pull hard as hell. You can even hang or take an LS1 or Cobra off the line to maybe 30-40mph but it's over after that, especially from a roll, 3rd gear is absolutley sick and insane on LS1's and Cobras pull hard as f*ck from a roll when high in the rpm band.

A stock auto 99' GT is an easy mid to low 14' Car in the 1/4, only a little slower then 5 speed GT's. People have gotten them in mid-high 13's w/ only gears and a few bolt ons. They have a huge advantage from a launch

A swap wouldn't be worth it, unless your going for all out performance, if you were going to spend that type of money you might as well go find a dohc 4.6 Cobra engine or even a crate engine and go from there.

Insurance is also barely more expensive unless you have an absolutely horrible driving record. Insurance companies don't care (trust me, we used to own one of the largest Allstate offices), when they see "Mustang" to them it doesn't really matter if it's a GT, Cobra, or V6, it still considered to be the same class of car (sports class), even Cobras are only a little more to insure over a GT.

Enough can't be said for the sound of the modular sohc and dohc engines, I love the exotic burbly growl they have.

If I were you I would get my money back, and either buy a 98' GT and swap on the 99-03 p heads and you'll be putting out their level of hp/tq and still have a nice chunk of money left over for more mods, or find a 98' Cobra which can be easily had in your price range, or....IMO...hehe....save your money and wait to get an used 03' Cobra, heh, you'll have a forged dohc 4.6 block that responds better to mods then basically any engine ever produced, nuff said;) I can't even explain how impressed I am with my buddies 03', he's close to 500rwhp with only bolt on's........Look at my sig and you can tell how I feel about them LOL.

Well they're both Fox chassis, and they both suck in terms of chassis stabilty, but the modular motor is awesome. Do NOT get the Essex 3.8. Even though they got their horespower boosted to 190 in 1999, they are still turds. I will never forget the time I literally smoked a V-6 Mustang from a 20+ roll in the X. The Mustang driver didn't even look at me afterwards :D

Oh yes, and the head gasket problem was fixed :p

I don't really like mustangs....the only Stang I would drive would be a 91-94, the hatchback model. I show no interest in any other models because they are all ugly and way too many around.

Originally posted by MO_GUY
I don't really like mustangs....the only Stang I would drive would be a 91-94, the hatchback model. I show no interest in any other models because they are all ugly and way too many around.
Probably a reason there are so many around. Anyway, I think they look nice, but the Saleen is the only way to go IMO. The 2003 Cobra is nice too :D

Back