• Register Today It's free!

Thump - not sure what it is

taylordm@att.net

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Springs, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I have a thump in my '98 Explorer 4x4 Sport. If I accelerate moderately I don't get the noise, if I aggresively accelerate the car I get a continuous thump that goes faster with the increase in speed. I have not continued to push the accelerator long enough to see when it stops. It doesn't matter if it is from a stand still or I am going 60 miles an hour, if I step on the accelerator the thump starts. Let off the accelerator it stops.

Another clue is when I put it in 4 wheel drive the thump is there no matter how much I push on the accelerator. No thump when the car is coasting.

Does this sound like a transmission problem?

Dave

Define that thump a little more... does it repeat? From what area is the thump coming from?

It does repeat

It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, but can't tell for sure.
It is a continuous and steady noise that speeds up with the increase in speed of the car, it is almost like a slipping noise but the car continues to shift.

It is your rear driveshaft slip yoke. TSB 04-23-7 see pdf. The tsb indicates it is for rangers, but it is also for explorers. The kit is $28.00 at a stealership or $20.00 online.

Scucci:D

Attachments

• tsb04-23-07.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 299

Back