Thumping noise during decel, after tire change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping noise during decel, after tire change

bulldogjr

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Put two new rear tires on my 2003 XLT after having a cut sidewall on LR. (Actually bought one new and used spare for other.) Ever since the change, I get a thumping noise during deceleration at about 40-45 MPH and I can put in neutral and it continues. No problem while at constant speed or accelerating. After switching tires around on the back, and having the new tire replaced, I'm sure it's not the tires.

Could the small difference in diameter of the rear vs front tires be causing the transfer case to slipping? Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it just do this between 40-45 mph or does it do the same thing at lower or higher speeds.

It's possible that one is not balanced right, or one of the tires could have a bad spot in the tread. I would have the place you purchased the tire from check for this.

Thanks, but I'm sure it's not a tire problem. I replaced each of the new tires with one old at a time, no change. It's clearly coming from the driveline.

Maybe I'm missing something here but it appears that you are suspecting the new tires and not the spare you used. Have you tried substituting something else for the spare?

Yes, replaced spare with original RH tire. I've tried every possible combination. The only common denominator is at least one new (larger diameter) tire on the rear.

Update:

Replaced two front tires with new, issue went away. Lesson learned...keep all 4 tires nearly at the same wear level. Apparently it is an issue on auto 4x4/AWD drivelines.

Yup. I had the same issue but had all the same size tires. I just had one rear that was worn a little more than the others and it thumped.

I'm having this same "thumping noise" as we speak. I just took my 02 Explorer to the local Ford dealer and they said it was a driveshaft or axle issue , or possibly the 4x4 module. Either way, they didn't have a real answer. I thought it was a wheel balance issue or something along those lines. I really appreciate some light on this matter. I do have a few questions. Is your explorer thumping when the cruise is on and you are decelerating? Does the thumping occur at variable speeds? Does it thump at random times and speeds?

Thanks for the help.

BTT..

I would appreciate any input on this matter.

Also noticing thumping on deceleration for 2003 Explorer XLS Flex Fuel

I have been putting up with the thumping for some time. It occurs after driving for at least 5 miles or so and at any speed but during deceleration mostly. Sometimes while just giving it light gas to keep up with traffic as well. I believe it must be a tire were issue due to a slightly longer tire rotation interval. I feels although the 4 wheel drive is kicking in as you can feel the sort of fighting you a bit to steer. Short of buying new tires all around, is there way to not have 4 wheel drive engage perhaps? I only truly need 4 wheel drive when I am stuck somewhere but would like to keep every thing typically normal. I have read about brown wire mods and Traction control modules but still not sure which direction I would like to go in. Perhaps it is a wheel bearing? I have replaced the same driver side rear wheel bearing 3 times. Also, pulled the transfer case out and all fluid was dark (drained, inspected, replaced fluid and reinstalled) Vehicle has "howling rear" but I have not noticed any issues other than noise. The truck is paid off but I am worried about getting stuck somewhere down the road. Not to mention the broken coil spring that I had to replace last year. Door ajar lights on during high humidity days. This explorer has 105k miles on it. It looks nice but it appears that this could turn into a money pit if I go the wrong direction. I could try to sell it and perhaps trade it for another set of problems but since SUV's are out of favor wouldn't get much from a trade perspective. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't work on cars for a living but can turn a wrench when needed.

Did you ever get this problem resolved and if so, what was the solution?

Did you ever get this problem resolved and if so, what was the solution?

Ok, so here's what I've discovered, I have the same problem, a clunk/shimmy when decelerating at about 110-100 kph. After reading through a few of these threads, it appears whats happening is that the difference in wheel diameter (as small as it is) is causing the 4x4 module to think the tires are slipping and engages the 4x4 then disengages it right away. one user had pulled his 4x4 module fuse out which is what I've just done. i took it for a quick boot on the highway and the problem seems to fixed itself. the only other fix would be to keep all tires at the same tread depth. personally, I'm sick of this vehicle and don't want to put money into it, I'll probably just drive around with the fuse pulled until i can afford a truck.

Update:

Replaced two front tires with new, issue went away. Lesson learned...keep all 4 tires nearly at the same wear level. Apparently it is an issue on auto 4x4/AWD drivelines.

Yep that is exactly the problem I had with my Explorer 4x4 when I bought 2 new tires, I bought the 2 tires and if the tires have a differential of 1/8 inch you will have driveability problems. I drove mine that way for about a month and it damaged my transmission. The folks at the tire shops are not aware of this or at least novice technicians. The same goes for Subaru's that are 4x4 or all wheel drive. Consider yourself lucky you didn't damage your transmission, had to have mine rebuilt for $1,400

My 2002 Explorer has been a great vehicle -- reliable and good in snow. The biggest problem has been dealing with the tires. They need to be rotated and maintained to get as much life as possible. One bad cut in a sidewall made me replace all four tires even though there was life left in the tread. That hurts.

Back