Thumping sound when rear A/C is running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping sound when rear A/C is running

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
About a year ago, I started hearing a thump...thump...thump sound in the back when the rear A/C was running. When I turned the rear blower off, the sound stopped and has not returned for a year until now. A few months ago I heard it again when the rear air was going. Turning off the rear air stops the sound. Heard it again yesterday.
What is it and why does turning the rear air off stop it and it doesn't come back when the rear air is turned back on ?

2007 Explorer XLT V6 106k miles

Sounds like one of the blend door actuators has stripped the teeth on the internal plastic gears. Mine does the same thing periodically when I turn on the rear axle and I just haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. You have to remove most of the trim panel in the back to replace it in the red hvac unit. See this link: Rear Blend Door Actuator

Sounds like one of the blend door actuators has stripped the teeth on the internal plastic gears. Mine does the same thing periodically when I turn on the rear axle and I just haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. You have to remove most of the trim panel in the back to replace it in the red hvac unit. See this link: Rear Blend Door Actuator
Sorry. I meant rear AC, not axle!

ok, Thanks for the reply. It only happens every now and then but Ill check it out.

Back