Ticking noise in door...2019 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise in door...2019 Sport

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
This is an odd one, I appreciate. I have a metal on metal ticking sound coming from the drivers door over bumps - it's getting worse as it now happens over uneven road surfaces, too.

Very strange. Imagine someone taking a ball point pen and taping it on a metal panel - just increase the cadence as fast as you can. It's clearly two pieces of metal rubbing together. I removed the inside pillar trim by the belt and sprayed some silicone down in there. Not very scientific, but it worked on another Ford Edge I had once. Sadly, it did nothing here. It really sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the door, but you know how sounds can be.

I'm out of warranty - 40,000 miles. But, it's only 19months old, so I need to look into that and see if its worth going to the $tealership, or if they will say its no covered.

Before I journey down that path, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this experience before?

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an XLT, not Sport but am experiencing a very similar "ticking" noise but on the passenger seat. I too have taken apart the seatbelt pillar and have tried to find that odd tapping rattle beneath the seat. On an uneven road, I can pull on the headrest and stop the rattle, but cannot find the source. I also think it may go away when I have a passenger in the car, but can't recall for sure. I completely agree with your statement about rattles and have even looked underneath the car on that side and cannot find anything. At this point, I think it is seat related but cannot find where it's coming from.

I have an XLT, not Sport but am experiencing a very similar "ticking" noise but on the passenger seat. I too have taken apart the seatbelt pillar and have tried to find that odd tapping rattle beneath the seat. On an uneven road, I can pull on the headrest and stop the rattle, but cannot find the source. I also think it may go away when I have a passenger in the car, but can't recall for sure. I completely agree with your statement about rattles and have even looked underneath the car on that side and cannot find anything. At this point, I think it is seat related but cannot find where it's coming from.

I'm not going to celebrate quit yet, but I did not hear it today after 60 miles on varying road surfaces. I also forgot to mention that I do feel like the weather has an impact. I need to focus on it more, but it's either as it's warmer, or cooler, when I hear it more. In NE Ohio, that can be within the hour this time of the year. :)

Regardless, I know spraying that silicone down that area - am sure it runs to the floor - always helped in our old Edge and Fusion we had. Just seems like two metal parts are touching - either from expansion, or contraction. Be that as it may - it's annoying as all get out! :)

Shumax

I'm not going to celebrate quit yet, but I did not hear it today after 60 miles on varying road surfaces. I also forgot to mention that I do feel like the weather has an impact. I need to focus on it more, but it's either as it's warmer, or cooler, when I hear it more. In NE Ohio, that can be within the hour this time of the year. :)

Regardless, I know spraying that silicone down that area - am sure it runs to the floor - always helped in our old Edge and Fusion we had. Just seems like two metal parts are touching - either from expansion, or contraction. Be that as it may - it's annoying as all get out! :)

Shumax

You are smart not to celebrate. There have been several times I thought I had found the source and mitigated the ticking and/or reverberating metal on metal noise but did not. It's almost as if there is something inside one of the rectangular main supports that is loose. What's frustrating is that I can tap or hit the side of the seat and make the noise occur, but cannot find its source.

I want to say my 14 Sport does something similar when cold. It was intermittent though, so I never really dug into it.
Now that I 'handed it down' to my wife for daily driver, I probably won't hear it again unless she brings it up.

I want to say my 14 Sport does something similar when cold. It was intermittent though, so I never really dug into it.
Now that I 'handed it down' to my wife for daily driver, I probably won't hear it again unless she brings it up.

If your wife is similar to mine, you will not hear about it. Why, because they simply turn the audio system up and life is great. Plus my wife thinks I'm somewhat fanatical when it comes to hearing and solving rattles and/or noises that, to me, should not exist.

If your wife is similar to mine, you will not hear about it. Why, because they simply turn the audio system up and life is great. Plus my wife thinks I'm somewhat fanatical when it comes to hearing and solving rattles and/or noises that, to me, should not exist.

Lol, I hear you on that(pun intended).

I'm the same way. With a quiet vehicle like the Explorer, the smallest noises bug me, whereas 89 Mustang has so many rattles that it all blends together, almost like white noise.

My wife's CX9 had a rear bearing going bad, loud growling noise. I immediately knew what it was when we got up to speed. I asked how long it was making noise. Her first response was, "What noise?"

I'll have to make a habit of driving the Explorer once in a while to check for any odd noises.

I'll have to make a habit of driving the Explorer once in a while to check for any odd noises.

For years I have made it a habit to drive my wife's car on either a weekly or bi-weekly basis for both odd noises and to make sure it's running properly.

For years I have made it a habit to drive my wife's car on either a weekly or bi-weekly basis for both odd noises and to make sure it's running properly.

Well, we've cycled the weather in Ohio. Was near 70 and went down to 40. Some rain, wind and sun in there. Just missing the snow! :) Keep it! But, I am happy to say, I've not heard the noise. Wow. Far too soon to claim victory, but its going down the right path. I've got 1,800 miles ahead of me over the next 12 days down into the Carolinas, so it'll get a good test then! :)

Back